Highlighted

• Symbol is duplicate when "copy-paste" a design, why?

Contributor ,
Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

To make it easier & faster (when I have to make some change), I work a lot with symbol

But I noticed, that when I "copy-paste" a design (including one of the symbol), well Illustrator is duplicating the symbol into the symbols "palette"?

Why?  What's the point?

At the end, I got a file with tens of occurrences of the exactly same symbol…  😕

Any help is welcome…

Enjoy your day.

- Dimitri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

• Symbol is duplicate when "copy-paste" a design, why?

Contributor ,
Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

To make it easier & faster (when I have to make some change), I work a lot with symbol

But I noticed, that when I "copy-paste" a design (including one of the symbol), well Illustrator is duplicating the symbol into the symbols "palette"?

Why?  What's the point?

At the end, I got a file with tens of occurrences of the exactly same symbol…  😕

Any help is welcome…

Enjoy your day.

- Dimitri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version, which system?

Is this an older file?

Ho is the symbol set up? Which options?

Is there perhaps a nested symbol in it?

Do you have any extensions installed in your system that enhance the clipboard?

Can you share a demo file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This used to be a bug in older versions of Illustrator if the symbol contained at least one raster image.

You can avoid the unwanted duplication by Alt dragging the symbol instance to duplicate instead of copy and paste.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Add a group