Symbol Tools Hard to Use?

Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find all of the symbol tools hard/inconsistent to control. Awful with the mouse, less so with a pen but still spotty. This has always been the case regardless of which version of AI I'm on, so I'm curious if I'm doing something wrong or if this is just how the tools "feel".

The sprayer should put one instance down if I click and a cluster if I hold, but I usually have to click multiple times before one is placed, and intensity seems to control nothing about how quickly they're sprayed.

The shifter is the worst. Sometimes the symbol will drag easily and smoothly. The rest of the time, it's like pulling teeth to move it a hair. Doesn't matter what symbol or if there's anything else around it. Same symbol, same settings, same file, it just isn't consistent. Click once, moves fine. Click again, barely moves. Again, barely moves. Ten more times, inching along then bam, it moves fine again.

The stainer, screener, sizer and scruncher all work as intended, only it's like they have high intensity no matter how I set each one when using it. But again, it's inconsistent. I have to click and undo a dozen times until I get the proper amount of what I want.

The spinner is fine. It also seems overly sensitive but at least it has the little directional line so I can see exactly where it's going to rotate and adjust how much I move the mouse or pen accordingly to nail it every time. Are the other tools supposed to have indicators as well?

The symbol tools are the only tools in AI that feel like a guessing game rather than ones I can get the same result from each time I use them, even on the same exact thing I just used them on two seconds earlier. Anyone else notice this? Any thoughts on what might be going on? Thanks!

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click on the symbol sprayer and change the settings here. Is difficult to get the perfect settings you want, so I knwo the feelign you have of not having perfect control, sometimes easier to break/expand symbol to make finer adjustments.

MikeGondek_0-1626218552862.png

Set your intensity to 10 and the shifter and other tools should be more aggressive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I tried messing around with intensity under there but I didn't see much of a difference. When I tried "user defined" instead of average and also using a much larger diameter for the tools than it seems it would need, results felt a lot better. Still not consistent but better. I'll keep experimenting!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines