Highlighted

Symbols dimensions include the stoke weight:

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a symbol out of a simple rectangle of 1038 x 275 mm with a stroke weight of 4 mm.

in the properties, the symbol dimensions are 1039.445 x 276.445 mm.
when I edit the symbol I get the original dimensions! when I save - they change again.
(the option of "show preview bounds" is unchecked. so is the option "scale line and graphics".)
I work on a mac 10.15.4 and latest adobe cloud version.

any ideas how to avoid that?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

You can avoid that by making the symbol out of an object that has no stroke. Then apply a stroke to the symbol instance via Appearance palette.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Symbols dimensions include the stoke weight:

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a symbol out of a simple rectangle of 1038 x 275 mm with a stroke weight of 4 mm.

in the properties, the symbol dimensions are 1039.445 x 276.445 mm.
when I edit the symbol I get the original dimensions! when I save - they change again.
(the option of "show preview bounds" is unchecked. so is the option "scale line and graphics".)
I work on a mac 10.15.4 and latest adobe cloud version.

any ideas how to avoid that?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

You can avoid that by making the symbol out of an object that has no stroke. Then apply a stroke to the symbol instance via Appearance palette.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rossignol,

Apart from the exquisite solution by Kurt, it sounds as if your Stroke Weight is (a wee bit larger than) 4 pt rather than 4 mm.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0