• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbols not displaying after saving and reopening file. Visual bug?

Participant ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a document with 8 custom symbols in the symbols pallete. I have used these 8 symbols to place 576 objects into the document of various sizes. When I first create the file all 576 objects made from the symbols appear on my screen (see image 1.jpg for an example). However when I save and close the document and then re-open it only the first 24 symbols are appearing as if Illustrator is not rendering the rest of them. Visually it looks like nothing is there unless I hover over one (see image 2.jpg). If I click and move one of the objects it will then appear visually. If I select all of the objects and select break link they will also re-appear. My question is how do I get all 576 objects to appear on my screen without having to break the links or move them? Illustrator should be rendering all of the symbols or am I missing something? Is there a way to refresh your screen?

Note I have tried opening the files on 4 different computers now and they all have the same problem, so I don't think it's hardware related. 

Thank you for any help with this. 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Update: After further testing the issue appears to have been graphics drivers needing to be updated. They still take a while to load on re-opening but after about 5-10 seconds they show up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by switching to software-only drawing mode, disabling the GPU functions.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried turning gpu performance on and off as well as unchecking real time drawing and editing. It doesn't have any effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To solve this, someone will need to have a look at the actual AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: After further testing the issue appears to have been graphics drivers needing to be updated. They still take a while to load on re-opening but after about 5-10 seconds they show up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines