Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symmetrical objects: how to edit them?

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Let's say I want to make a heart shape: I draw a half and then reflect it.

Now: I want it to be a closed shape AND I want to edit the curves symmetrically, but I can't find how.

First I found there is a "Global Edit" function that allows me to edit the two parts symmetrically (see here: YouTube video), but this is not a closed shape.

Then I found I need to average and join the overlapping points: I made so, it is now a closed shape, but I lose the symmetrical editing!

What can I do?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Shepard Hi.

To move your handles at the same time and keep your anchor in the same place.

Helpful to turn on Smart Guides, Direct select your anchor with Direct Selection tool.

Switch to the Scale tool, move your handles wherever you want.

KScreen Move Handles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shepard,

Given your closed symmetrical shape, you can use good old ways to work with corresponding Anchor Points and/or segments, such as these, each time time starting out with the object deselected and being able to see what you are doing while doing it:

To move up/down, you can ClickDrag over a pair/set of corresponding Anchor Points/segments with the Direct Selection Tool and ShiftClickDrag up/down or use the up/down Arrow key.

To move apart/together, you can ClickDrag over a pair/set of corresponding Anchor Points/segments with the Direct Selection Tool and then switch to the Scale Tool and ShiftClickDrag either out/in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

that's what I thought of, too, but I don't seem able to select the two handle and move them together! 😞

Think of my heart made of just two points with curvature: I want to modify the curvature by moving handles, the anchor should stay where they are.

Can you help?

ShepardCommander_0-1615544589395.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there is no way to edit handles in a symmetric fashion once they are pulled out. Also you can not edit the handles of more than one anchor point. However, I would suggest adding another two anchor points in the paths to adjust the curvature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, man!

So there's no solution?

Any suggested workflow? Should I make all the editing one-sided and then reflect it?

BTW: it very difficult to post here!!! Many times "Post button" has no effect, I have to play with preview and post a little, than it works!

Some times it says

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed."

But I have no HTML!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that was kind of misleading. kphotopage placed the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shepard Hi.

To move your handles at the same time and keep your anchor in the same place.

Helpful to turn on Smart Guides, Direct select your anchor with Direct Selection tool.

Switch to the Scale tool, move your handles wherever you want.

KScreen Move Handles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!

I'm not sure why the scale tool works like this on both sides, but that's ok for me!

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shepard,

Just returning after leaving right after posting.

I can see that I ought to have included Handles in my such as these list.

But luckily you got it from K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several ways to do symmetrical in illustrator, one of the easiest is with the help of the transform panel via appearance panel, see in my picture attached the basic parameters.

When finished editing your shape, just duplicate it and expand the appearance for final toches if needed, keep the original for other editions.

Pasted_Image_3_12_21__8_31_AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mario,

if I get your method right, I need to make all the adjustments before mirroring the part, is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can do adjustments at any time.

Here in this video you can see another way to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVt782RyvnQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shepard,

I (mis)read your first question to mean that you wished to work with the actual whole shape as a closed path.

It is quite possible to create a symmetrical drawing live with the help of Illy, with the inbuilt tools, without any external plugins, if you just start in the right way. Obviously, it is much better to see the whole appearance while you create it.

Depending on the number of reflexion/rotation axes, there are different ways.

For a simple one to two mirroring such as a heart, you may see the reflection live after each Anchor Point if you start out as follows (for Pen Tool with vertical reflection to the right, similar for other directions):

1) Create the first two Anchor Points of your basic path;
2) Effect>Distort&Transform>Transform>ReflectX with 1 copy and the middle right side Reference Point chosen;
3) With the Pen Tool ClickDrag (or Click) anew from the second Anchor Point and go on;

If you wish, you may:

4) Object>Expand Appearance and Ctrl/Cmd+J to join the half paths.

Ctrl/Cmd+Z Undo is your friend: you can just go back and redo while drawing the basic path.

For multiple reflexion/rotation axes and plugins, you may have a look at solutions in this thread, including the links to external solutions below:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2284752

Or you can have a look at the MadPattern templates,
http://madpattern.com/

Or you can use the MirrorMe plugin from Astute Graphics,
http://www.astutegraphics.com/software/mirrorme/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

I need it to be closed, indeed!

I would like to fill the heart with say gradient fill and then be able to adjust its shape.

But the scale tool on the handles seems to work as I need.

Thank you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredible, that the biggest vector software in the world, STILL doesn't have this feature. Wake up Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could do this in Illustrator for years. But you had to set it up with the transform effect.

Nowadays you might want to take a look at the repeat function, which has been there since version 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Astute has a free plugin that makes live symmetry easy and fast. It breaks the dynamic corners unfortunately though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines