• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tapered Calligraphic Brush

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a tablet with a pen, so I have pen pressure, and the latest updated version of Illustrator. I've seen people using Calligraphic brushes with the size set to variation with pressure, but even when I have those settings I'm unable to get tapered ends. I don't want to have to adjust everything after I put down the brush strokes because that's ridiculous and everything I've tried either hasn't worked, worked but with major issues that I don't want to deal with, or I had to go through lots of extra steps after I've put down the brush strokes. I don't understand why I can't get tapered ends with just a simple Calligraphic brush and if there's no way for that to happen I think Adobe really needs to fix that with their programming because I just want a nice looking vector with tapered ends that I don't have to waste hours in the settings for. I'd like to be able to make vector drawings because I think that would look better with my style, but I'll just stick with Photoshop if there's no easy way to get tapered ends.

tl;dr I need to know how, if it's possible, to get my brush stroke ends to taper with a Calligraphic brush using the size pressure variation setting.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need just to adjust the variation value in the brush size section when you make the new calligraphic brush.

So you need to choose Pen Pressure and give a value to variation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only do you need to set up the calligraphy brush, but also the Wacom settings need to be in a way that the stylus can register pressure changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I might not have phrased my wording quite right but I have adjusted the variation value and checked pen pressure multiple times and it has not worked. As for the tablet responding to pen pressure, I don't have a Wacom, I use a Surface Pro 4,and it's pen pressure sensing is fine, as I have used it a lot in Photoshop before and with the pressure variation I have varying widths on my lines in Illustrator but no tapered ends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MaxQLongmire  schrieb

I think I might not have phrased my wording quite right

Definitely.

And that's why it's important to always tell us about your system.

In previous versions of the Surface Pro you would need to delete the Ntrig driver. But as far as I know this doesn't work with version 4. You could try if some of this works:

Please fix the Surface Pro pen bug in AI...

Surface Pro 4 + Surface Pen = Brush Delay?

If all this doesn't work and all you want to have is tapered strokes, you might try width profiles instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the driver solutions and they aren't working. I don't really want to work with width profiles because there aren't any "Art" brushes that are just plain, basic brushes, and the Calligraphic brushes don't have width profiles. I've seen people using the Calligraphic brush tool with the pen pressure and width variation and get tapered lines on YouTube, like this: Adobe Illustrator Tutorial: How to Draw an Astrochimp - YouTube​, so I'm not sure why I can't get Illustrator to work like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can try another driver for your wacom. I had this problem more times. Sometimes it just need to restart my computer and another times was because of the driver version of the tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Calligraphic Brush did you set the "Diameter" and "Variation" to the same dimension? This is the only way a Calligraphic brush will taper to a point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a fix for this? Apparently Adobe have been informed of this bug since 2018 but it still hasn't been fixed. I'm able to get tapered ends on Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint, Affinity Designer, but not on Adobe Illustrator which sucks because I bought the Surface Pro 7 to use Adobe Illustrator on the go and now it's unusable.. Thinking of unsubscribing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am still having this bug in 2022 on my Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines