tell application id "com.adobe.illustrator" to do javascript returns missing value

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This command worked in applescript until illustrator 25.1 (2021). I just get missing value returned

tell application id "com.adobe.illustrator" to do javascript "#include /absolutepath/script.jsx"

This works but is terribly slow

tell application id "com.adobe.illustrator" to open file "absoluate:path:script.jsx"

What is the best modern way to run extendscript via node? It'd be great if there was a unixy way to do it without using applescript? Somehow Visual Studio Code does it but I cannot find their source for the plugin to figure it out. 

I've searched everywhere for this and happened upon this group.

I have an electron app that builds dynamic extendscripts to run against illustrator, photoshop and indesign. Illustrator is the first to give me problems. 

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
m1b LATEST
Engaged ,
Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is way beyond my experience, but just in case it's helpful, I have noticed that any .jsx scripts that access certain ExtendScript Toolkit functionality do run *extremely* slow (actually I think they basically hang, eventually time out, then finally execute). I've noticed it with the $ object, eg. $.writeln, but possibly #include statements, too. Would it be possible to test without any use of these? Sorry if I'm talking nonsense.

- Mark

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more