Highlighted

Text align stroke outside greyed out

Explorer ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my text, I need to align the stroke on the outside but it is greyed out. How do I get it to not be greyed out?

Capture77.PNG

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Clarifying the tips above

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As you are figuring out, Rite-Oak, you can't re-align the stroke on live (editable text). If you are willing to commit to the type being in final form, you can select it and pick Type > Create Outlines and you can align the stroke to the outside using the button you pointed to in the first screen shot. Once the type is converted to outlines, you won't be able to edit the text though.

1. To keep the type live (and editable), select the text and choose Window > Appearance:
    Adobe Illustrator CC 2015ss_095.png

2. Click the fx button on the bottom row and Path > Offset Path. In the example below, I set the offset to 1 pt to move it outside of the text.
    Adobe Illustrator CC 2015ss_096.png
  3. If you want to modify the offset, click the orange underlined Offset Path in the Appearance panel and not on the fx button again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Text align stroke outside greyed out

Explorer ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my text, I need to align the stroke on the outside but it is greyed out. How do I get it to not be greyed out?

Capture77.PNG

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As you are figuring out, Rite-Oak, you can't re-align the stroke on live (editable text). If you are willing to commit to the type being in final form, you can select it and pick Type > Create Outlines and you can align the stroke to the outside using the button you pointed to in the first screen shot. Once the type is converted to outlines, you won't be able to edit the text though.

1. To keep the type live (and editable), select the text and choose Window > Appearance:

2. Click the fx button on the bottom row and Path > Offset Path. In the example below, I set the offset to 1 pt to move it outside of the text.
  3. If you want to modify the offset, click the orange underlined Offset Path in the Appearance panel and not on the fx button again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 20, 2016 1
Explorer ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Setting I need is greyed out.

Capture78.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outlining the type works as does Efferct>Offset Path which has the advantage of keeping the type live.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2016 1
Explorer ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2016 0
Explorer ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On text, you need to do this in the 'Appearance' panel. This way you can still maintain 'editing' your text too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2016 1
May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2016 0
Explorer ,
May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb for your concise answer, it was very helpful. When I click on "Offset Path" to edit the stroke, I do not see an option to edit the color. Currently mine is set to default white. Thanks in advance.

Capture78.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2016 0
May 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't edit the color because the description is not complete.

1. Select the text object

2. open the appearance panel

3. add a new fill using the buttons in the appearance panel

4. move the fill below the "Characters"

5. Change the color to whatever you like

6. apply Effect > Path > Offset path only to that fill, not to the text object.

7. Read everything you can find about the appearance panel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2016 4
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Monika Gause, your trick helped

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2016 0
New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created outlines for my text, still greyed out. You know of anything that owuld cause this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0