• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text automatic convert to outline when copy and paste.

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, When I copy and paste text as paragraph the text converts automatically to outline!

I use illustrator 24.0.3 on Mac Platform.

Does anyone have any idea where this thing came from?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the obvious settings in Preferences > File Handling & Clipboard are all usual,

could you check if there are any extensions in place that interfere with the clipboard?

This can be general Mac system extensions, but also some borwser plugins.

Also: you don't copy and paste text from InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thanks for your reply.

When I copy the text from Indesign to Illustrator I received Win. with:

"Adobe illustrator the document contains PDF objects that have been reinterpreted"

"To preserve appearance, some text has been outlined"

When I copy and place in Indesign it's work OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy and paste between InDesign and Illustrator ould be better.

Ligatures from InDesign can cause outlines in Illustrator.

Try to turn off Ligatures in InDesign before copy.

Or copy the text with the Text tool instead of the text frame with the selection tool.

Or try to use a CC library to exchange text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds normal. Your original message seemed to say it only happened inside Illustrator (copy from Illustrator, paste to Illustrator). You can't expect to keep everything intact in styles and detail between different apps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's normal between Indesign to Illustrator.

But copy and paste text in illustrator it's converted automatically, I don't remember anything like that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do you get this message if you copy IN ILLUSTRATOR and paste IN ILLUSTRATOR? No InDesign use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Just between Indesign to Illustrator.

My problem is only in illustrator when I copy and paste, the convert to outline automatically.

When I use copy holding the "alt" and drag with the double arrow it as paragraph and not convert to outline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting. I tried to replicate and I get the same. Copying and pasting and Alt dragging text from Illustrator to InDesign don't create outlines. I researched this issue and InDesign Secrets wrote an article about it.

They don't list an exact solution but Steve Werner has a workaround.

"Here’s a workaround that may help sometimes with a lot of Illustrator formatting: (1) Save the Illustrator file as PDF, choosing to Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities (you can use the Illustrator Default PDF export preset. (2) If you have Acrobat Standard or Professional, choose File > Save As and select RTF as the format. (3) In InDesign, choose File > Place and turn on the options to retain formatting."

Hopefully, there will be a fix in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really made me suffer for a while! 

It'll only happen if you copy/paste the text along with a shape as grouped or something. Try to copy/paste only the text and it will be done with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically just ungroup things then, copy/paste

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the issue even text is copied alone. I have tried with ungrouping the shapes, but attempt failed. Text is outlined in every case whenever I copy & paste. Alt dragging is a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I would request you to share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrtaor
    • Is the issue related to a specific document?
    • Could you please share a sample document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
    • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.
    • Are there any apps running in the background? If yes, close them one by one and see if that helps resolve the issue?
    • Are you using any third-party clipboard tools?
    • A small video demonstrating the issue could be really helpful. (Include layer panel)
    • Does manually resetting Illustrator Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?
      Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Also, you may try opening the app in Safe Mode (Mac / Windows) and see if you are able to copy-paste text as formatted.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines