• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text becoming invisible when I save an Ai file as a PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I been having trouble saving a document I've been working on as a PDF. When I save it as a PDF the text becomes invisible (I can still highlight it with my cursor in Preview. I just can't see it.). Furthermore, the strings of the harp icon I have placed in the document have become white. The same icon has been copied and pasted multiple places throughout the document, and yet only one seems to be having this issue.
I just started using Illustrator this year so I'm not familliar with the technicals of the program. But I'll try an provide as much useful information as I can:
- I'm using the current, updated version of Illustrator
- The font is Canela Deck (Bold) 
- I've tried changing the font and saving it again, but the issue persisted
- I've tried changing the Print Layers setting from "visible & printable layers" to "visible layers" (issue persisted)
- I also shrunk the white rectangle I had behind the text so that it's no longer behind it (issue persisted)

Is there anything else I should check or try? Let me know if there is anything else I can provide to help find a solution. All input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading, 
Jessica 

What it looks like in Illustrator:                        What it looks like in Preview/as a PDF:

How_Doc_Appears_In_Illustrator.png         How_Doc_Appears_As_PDF.png

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

How does the PDF look in Acrobat or Reader? How does it look in a browser? Preview is not a reliable PDF viewer, it does not handle transparency and overprinting well, among other issues. I hesitate to suggest ways to "dumb down" your PDF so Preview will display it as desired, but you could try saving it from Illustrator as PDF/X-1a. If that doesn't work, you can try flattening it in Acrobat. Also, check the color of the type and missing strings in Acrobat (using the Output Preview tool).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show this text inside the layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a picture. The text is the top layer.
 Text_In_Layer_Panel.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does the PDF look in Acrobat or Reader? How does it look in a browser? Preview is not a reliable PDF viewer, it does not handle transparency and overprinting well, among other issues. I hesitate to suggest ways to "dumb down" your PDF so Preview will display it as desired, but you could try saving it from Illustrator as PDF/X-1a. If that doesn't work, you can try flattening it in Acrobat. Also, check the color of the type and missing strings in Acrobat (using the Output Preview tool).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I just downloaded Acrobat and the PDF appears correctly there (strings and text). Do you think there was an issue with the actual document or was it just preview? I looked for the option to export or save the Ai file as an PDF/X-1a and couldn't find it. But I'm not sure if Canvas, the learning management system we use at my university, would take that type of file. I also wasn't sure how to flatten it in acrobat. (If I could get it to flatten, would that make it appear differently in preview?) However, I think I can leave a note for my professor saying that it only appears correctly in Acrobat. 

Thank you again,
Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is probably nothing wrong with your PDF, Preview is just not very good with PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines