Highlighted

text boxes and placed images are "linked"

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Illustrator file that I did not create and I'm trying to figure out how the designer did this.

There is a step and repeat of the same "image" on one page, consisting of text boxes and placed image.

When I change something in any of the text boxes or even the placed image, it changes it in all the stepped images. How is this done??? I've been trying to figure it out but can't.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

Could be that (multiple) instances/copies of the Transform effect is being used. You can check that in the Layers palette and Appearance palette.

Another possible explanation could be that you are dealing with multiple symbol instances.

You could share a sample .ai file, so one may have a look at it.

TOPICS
How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

text boxes and placed images are "linked"

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Illustrator file that I did not create and I'm trying to figure out how the designer did this.

There is a step and repeat of the same "image" on one page, consisting of text boxes and placed image.

When I change something in any of the text boxes or even the placed image, it changes it in all the stepped images. How is this done??? I've been trying to figure it out but can't.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

Could be that (multiple) instances/copies of the Transform effect is being used. You can check that in the Layers palette and Appearance palette.

Another possible explanation could be that you are dealing with multiple symbol instances.

TOPICS
How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kurt! It was the transform effect. I had never used that before so I looked up a tutorial and sure enough, that is what was used.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Resources