• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text copied in Illustrator gets pasted outside of Illustrator as an Image

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text copied within Illustrator gets pasted outside of Illustrator as an Image or if I try to use that text to name the file, it pastes nothing at all.

Example:

If I copy any text from Illustrator into the clipboard, when I paste into Word or an Email or Mac Notes, or Text Edit, or to name that illustrator file, ....the text is converted to an image.

I can however paste that same copy into the Email Address line or another Adobe product or to name a folder on my desktop. Just a few quick examples.

This is a relatively new problem after using it for 25 years.

Anyone? Thanks >Robert

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Robert Hi.

Copy your text in Illustrator.

For Word, Click on the Paste option icon, select Keep Text Only.

K

Word Paste options.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you select the text instead of the text object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same result. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert Hi.

Copy your text in Illustrator.

For Word, Click on the Paste option icon, select Keep Text Only.

K

Word Paste options.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great - Thanks!

That works for Word.

That led me to discover for Text Editor and Notes, I can go to the top menu or shortcut keystroke to choose "Paste and Match Style".

For Mac Mail, you can go to preferences to change Composing/Message Format to "Plain Text"... which is a bit much, but it will work. 

However - I still can't use the text from Illustrator for renaming the file or paste to Messages for example. 

There should be a way to pull the text as "Plain Text" without formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I'm wanting to copy text from Illustrator and paste it into Keynote but when I do this it copies across as an image. There aren't any options to 'Keep text only' in Keynote. The work around is to copy it into Word (by clicking on the stupid paste button and selecting Keep text only) and then from there copying it across to Keynote but this wastes time and is clumsy, surely Adobe must've fixed this bug by now. You've known it about it for some time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution to this? It is very frustrating. I used to be able to copy text from Illustrator and paste anywhere else as needed. Destination settings should not matter. Any luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are copying the text and not the text object?

Where are you pasting? And what do those manufacturers say about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, copying the text, not the object. I've been working profesionally in Illustrator for over 20 years. Something changed within the lasy tear or two (on Mac version)

It happens in any other software I try to paste the text. Email, Pages, iMessage ... etc

They changed the matrix, lol 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the same problem 3 years later, Adobe hasn't done anything to try and fix it, it's unbelieveably frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! I just don't get it either - how are not more people having this issue?
Trying to copy text out of AI to basically ANYTHING - Mail (with and also removing HTML formatting), Notes, google docs, Text, WhatsApp - Comand-V, Command Shift V - they are all pasting it as an image.
On Mac Mini M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I never had this problem until today. Been using Illustrator for 10+ years. It shouldn't matter where you're pasting it. Please fix this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@astronauticalvelociraptor  schrieb:

Yeah, I never had this problem until today. Been using Illustrator for 10+ years. It shouldn't matter where you're pasting it. Please fix this. 

Well, it does matter, because it's the receiving application that has to offer the capabilities. And Mac OS has changed its copy paste behaviour. 

When you e.g. copy a link from a web page by right clicking it and then from the menu "Copy link" (in Safari)

and then you paste that, then what Mac OS pastes is not an URL, but the text from the web page with the link (and sometimes even without the link).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines