• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when I use "no break" to stop wrapping

LEGEND ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have a text area for a speech bubble that I want to stop wrapping sometimes.  For example:

alank99101739_1-1621838012801.png

Because it is an oval, it is being helpful by putting COURSE! on the next line. In this case I want to override it and force OF COURSE to be on the one line. My understanding is I highlight OF COURSE and select No Break from the Character panel.

alank99101739_3-1621838219683.png

But when I do this, the text disappears.

alank99101739_4-1621838253964.png

I read somewhere "if it does not fit, it will be hidden", but there is clearly space for it to fit.

Using an underscore for example shows what I want it to look like.

alank99101739_5-1621838317110.png

I also tried inserting en and em spaces, but they are breaking spaces. InDesign appears to have a "non-breaking space" you can insert from the menus, but Illustrator does not.

Is there any way in Illustrator to insert a non-breaking space for cases like the above?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Text in AI is a pain, I can do the same thing nine times and it works fine, but the tenth won't for no apparent reason.

If this is a one off, just colour your underscore white (or whatever the speech bubble background is), I know it's not elegant but it works. Or convert to outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

En and em spaces are not breaking spaces. You should be able to insert either of those, a standard space, or a hard or soft return to get what you want, as long as that character is not included in the No Break selection. Insert it before you apply the No Break,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text in AI is a pain, I can do the same thing nine times and it works fine, but the tenth won't for no apparent reason.

If this is a one off, just colour your underscore white (or whatever the speech bubble background is), I know it's not elegant but it works. Or convert to outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Change the color of your underscore to none.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines