Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Import Option Window

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

After saving my illustrator file and shutting down my computer, i got a Text Import Option Window appearing when trying to re open the file. Once I clicked "Okay" illustrator displayed nothing but a blank screen. Ive been searching for answers on other forums but cannot find a way to resolve this problem. Any help would be great!

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

I was having the same problem. It was happening on all of my ai files, so I knew it wasn't an issue with a single corrupt file. Even when I copied them from my locally synced Dropbox folder to my desktop, they wouldnt open as anything but a blank artboard. I tried opening the acrual Dropbox app and that seemed to fix it for me. Hope that works for you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Worked for me.

Before it happened, my file was stored on my onedrive.

Just simply download your backup file on your onedrive using your browser (not on your local drive) because the file stored on your local drive was corrupted, the file stored on your onedrive cloud wasn't. 

Did you get my point? Sorry poor english haha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system and what version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10 and Ilustrator CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked several threads about similar situations and there does not seem to be a good solution out there. If the problem is only happening with the one file you could try: How to fix damaged Illustrator files . If it is happening with all illustrator files then I would try trashing your Illustrator preferences.

To do so:

You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching Illustrator and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so:

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version number]\ Settings\<Language>. Make sure that Illustrator is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create  new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

If that does not work I would try uninstalling Illustrator using the creative cloud desktop app. Click on the “V” next to the name of the app in the Apps section of the desktop app (in this case, Illustrator) and in the pull-down menu that appears choose “Uninstall”. After uninstalling reinstall through the desktop app as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this Bill,

Unfortunately none of the options suggested have worked.

Thank you for your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file might got corrupted.

Where did you save it?

From where did you open it?

Are there fonts used in it?

placed images?

Do you have a backup procedure running?

If not, it would be time to create one. Take a look into the plugin Autosaviour Free. Set up a backup mechanism on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no backup procedure as far as i know.

The file was saved onto my desktop and was opened by clicking the icon on the desktop. No fonts and any images were copy-pasted and then deleted.

Does this information help in any way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

In case you were opening this from a network there might have been a slight chance to correct this. But not when saving to the desktop.

Illustrator does often produce errors when you're saving on networks or removable drives. So avoid this.

And setup a backup strategy. You should always have at least 2 copies of a file. Better when they are on different drives. Even better when you save different versions of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm having the same problem. Could you solve it? I lost a very important file, would appreciate any help, please!! 
What does they mean by opening the file "from a network"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file on a file server somewhere else? Or on your harddisk?

Illustrator has some serious issues with networks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both. I use dropbox but save my files locally. Am I answering your question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Synchronized folders can be an issue as well.

The trouble is that files might get damaged th moment you save them to a network. Sometimes you are lucky and Illustrator just can't read the file. You can and move it to your local harddisk, then open in Illustrator.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already tried that.
Thank you for your time anyway; and that link cleared things up.
Won't use networks anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The safe way to store files on a network is:

save them to desktop. Then move to network using the file explorer/Finder.

And: always have backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem. It was happening on all of my ai files, so I knew it wasn't an issue with a single corrupt file. Even when I copied them from my locally synced Dropbox folder to my desktop, they wouldnt open as anything but a blank artboard. I tried opening the acrual Dropbox app and that seemed to fix it for me. Hope that works for you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your post. Opening the Dropbox app worked for me. Magic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same issue can you please tell me exactly what did you do to fix it!

It is a very important file.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked for me.

Before it happened, my file was stored on my onedrive.

Just simply download your backup file on your onedrive using your browser (not on your local drive) because the file stored on your local drive was corrupted, the file stored on your onedrive cloud wasn't. 

Did you get my point? Sorry poor english haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines