• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Is Not Filling with Correct Colors / Gradients & But Swatches Show That It Is Filled In AI

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue with filling text and sometimes objects with the new update in Illustrator on Mac Catalina 10.15.6 . Normally I will use the eyedropper tool to change the color appearance. I have checked my eyedropper tool and all the settings are checked. As you can see the swatch says the text is filled with a gradient but it is not filling. I have had this problem for the past couple of weeks that objects and text will not want to change colors. I've tried resetting the appearance as well but nothing works. This is becoming a major PIA for me. I have been doing this the same way for years and suddenly it no longer works. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 3.10.09 PM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

It is not possible to fill text with a gradient directly. It must be done in the Appearance panel. It doesn't matter what the original fill color is. Select the text and in the Appearance panel, choose to add a new fill.

image.png

Highlight the topmost fill and choose to fill it with a gradient.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

It's a little tricky to apply gradients to live text. Here's a video tutorial I made to show that (and more cool tricks). It's old, but still very much applies to the latest versions of Illustrator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J9FnJDeAVA

Also, be careful of when the Appearance panel says No Selection at the top. It's easily missed because the panel still shows fills, etc. With no selection your work won't be changing anything! I wish Adobe would gray out the panel when nothing is selected

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you select your text with the selection tool (arrow) add a new fill in the Appearance panel and change the fill to a gradient ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if this sounds condescending, not my intent, but your screenshot shows a gradient fill but nothing selected.  Can we assume that the last-selected item was in fact the type object shown?

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not possible to fill text with a gradient directly. It must be done in the Appearance panel. It doesn't matter what the original fill color is. Select the text and in the Appearance panel, choose to add a new fill.

image.png

Highlight the topmost fill and choose to fill it with a gradient.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a little tricky to apply gradients to live text. Here's a video tutorial I made to show that (and more cool tricks). It's old, but still very much applies to the latest versions of Illustrator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J9FnJDeAVA

Also, be careful of when the Appearance panel says No Selection at the top. It's easily missed because the panel still shows fills, etc. With no selection your work won't be changing anything! I wish Adobe would gray out the panel when nothing is selected.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines