Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text on bottom of circle

Jul 13, 2009 Jul 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a circle that I added text to and it goes from left to right works fine.

The issue is adding text to the bottom to the circle. I have an Illustrator book but this is not covered.

Please enlighten me and point me to this process.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2009 Jul 13, 2009

Just to elaborate, DigitalBiz:

If you cut the circle, you may Object>Transform>Reflect the lower part vertically to get the direction right instead of ClickDragging.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator this will require another copy of the circle on which to add the text you wish to be at the bottom.Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more detailed instructions? Please I am so lost. I have Illustraator CS5, CS6, and CC – which version did you get this to work on?  Did you use the "type on a path tool?" did you need to cut the circle in half? my text ALWAYS ends up backwards! But I've only been trying in Illustrator CC and I have tried duplicating the circle many, may times

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's a year later and you've most likely solved this by now but i feel like everyone is so confusing in their answers.. so here's how I do it:

1. Draw a circle

2. Use the 'Type on a Path' tool, and click on the edge of the circle, write what you need to write, and then highlight the text.

3. Go to Type > Type on a Path > Type on a Path options > make sure it's set to 'Rainbow', the check box that says 'Flip' needs to be ticked, and then make sure it says Descender next to the 'Align to Path' box. 

Voila.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay!  Still relevant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gracias!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are amazing. Exactly the info I was looking for! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to have it go the same way, in other words the opposite way, as shown by Larry, use the (not Direct) Selection Tool and ClickDrag the I beam at the start of the Type and drag it across the path; adjust with the A/a arrow value in the Character palette if needed.

Instead of creating another circle, you may cut the circle into upper and lower half; in any case, you may group the pair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to elaborate, DigitalBiz:

If you cut the circle, you may Object>Transform>Reflect the lower part vertically to get the direction right instead of ClickDragging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, I will play with these ideas....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, DigitalBiz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this and my type is still backwards? what version of Illustrator are you using? are you using illustrator? or is it photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to reflect only the path, not the text object.

You might want to read the documentation about type on a path

In case you want help on a specific project, please post a screenshot.

How to create type on a path in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Type>Type on Path>Type on Path Options is very helpful in the alignment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS-6 and this does not work. I need vertical text at the bottom of my circle and I CANNOT get anything to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly did you try and what exactly does not work?

Do the controls not show?

Menu commands not there?

Anything else?

Which device are you using?

Any third party plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use text on a path, you will have 3 lines. Two lines with a square, and a plain center line.  Select the center line with the Direct Select tool, and drag it towards the center of the circle. Then drag it around to center the type as you require. Use baseline shift if you want it outside of the circle.

MaxthonSnap20170410104856.pngMaxthonSnap20170410105022.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what has happened to the third line, the one I can drag mt text around with?! Adobe why did you take it away??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

what has happened to the third line, the one I can drag mt text around with?! Adobe why did you take it away??

Nobody has taken anything away. The third one is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found it, but it comes and goes. It's not always there like it

used to be. All three were always visible, now it's quite tricky to get

that directional line to be visible.

[Mod note: Personal Info Removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you hitting CTRL+ Down Arrow when it disappears?  CTRL+ Up Arrow brings it back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the SAME problem, did you ever get this figured out? and if so how? and what version of illustrator did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I was also struggling with this until I played around after seeing edgrimleys' post.  So see the first pic he posted?  That text prompt line you need to 'Direct Select' it and then holding it down drag it to the INSIDE of the circle so the text prompt line will now be inside the circle like edgrimleys' 2nd pic.  Now you should be able to type at the bottom of the circle.

P.S. I copied my original circle so I had one circle with text at the top then a 2nd circle with text at bottom.  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Florence,

It is actually two years later, or up to ten years and a half later, arising in a quite different time when the rainbow was still only something in the sky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines