• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text wont resize when stretched, box reverts to original size

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im trying to stretch the text on my document and when i drag the corners of the bounding box, it just snaps back to original size. if i drag it sideways it resizes and stays that way. What is happening?

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that happens with the Scale Tool too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i try scale from the object menu it does nothing, doesnt resize or change at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant the Scale Tool (not the menu command)

Can you show something, please? Selected text item and visible layers panel and …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the scale tool is not in the tools panel , its greyed out when i try to add it. but i hot S and now its kinda scaling in that sometimes if i swipe over it it goes out of control and scales where i cant see it or increadibly big , i dont kknow how to use this tool. im a novice.  im trying to figure out how to take a pic off my surface..i dont have a button that says print screen on this keyboard...also i dont know where that sends the pic. seriously im new to this stuff and learning im sorry. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heres a screen shot of what im looking at, usually i can drag the corners and resize it, but it just snaps back now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i fooled with the scale tool a bit but it still snaps back to shape when i use it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeannes,

It sounds as some kind of corruption.

If it is happening with only one object or only in one document, you can try to recreate the ailing part(s) or move the artwork to a new document.

If it a general issue, you can try (relevant parts of) the list, starting with the easy things at the top.

THE LIST (The full list is even longer):

If things that should work simply refuse to (all possibilities exhausted including the A) - C) below (and carefully making sure you are performing (all) the needed things)), you may try (the relevant part(s) of) the list 1) - 8 ) below.

Sometimes, (certain) things may fail or stop working for no apparent reason. When the (other) possible reasons/cures fail to work, it may be some kind of (temporay or permanent) corruption, or even some inconvenient preference setting(s), which may be cured with something on the following list set up in an attempt to provide a catchall solution for otherwise unsolvable cases. It starts with a few easy and harmless suggestions 1) - 3) for milder cases, and goes on with three alternative ways 4) - 6) of resetting preferences to the defaults (easily but irreversibly and more laboriously but more thoroughly and also reversibly), then follows a list 7) of various other possibilities, and it ends with a full reinstallation 8 ). If no other suggestions work, or if no other suggestions appear, you may start on the list and decide how far to go and/or which may be relevant.

The following is a general list of things you may try when

A) The issue is not in a specific file,

B) You have a printer correctly installed, connected, and turned on if it is physical printer (you may use Adobe PDF/Acrobat Distiller as the default printer with no need to have a printer turned on, obviously you will need to specify when you actually need to print on paper), and

C) It is not caused by issues with opening a file from external media.

D) It is not caused by other applications (you may close down/disable everything else running, including browsers and antivirus, then try again). There are quite a few usual suspects that may disturb and confuse Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator) so she moves in mysterious ways (even more than usual, some would say).

You may have tried/done some of them already; 1) and 2) and 3) are the easy ones for temporary strangenesses, and 4) and 5) and 6) are specifically aimed at possibly corrupt/inconvenient preferences); 7) is a list in itself, and 8 ) is the last resort.

If possible/applicable, you should save current artwork first, of course.

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer (you may do that up to at least 5 times);

3) Log out of your Adobe account and log back in;

4) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

5) Follow the instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html#setting_illustrator_preferences. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does it happen only with this file or everywhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a limit for live text size, I forget what it is, 1296pt or 1926pt something like that. If you're at that limit convert to outlines and scale...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reach the limit, you can still apply the transform effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that only in the latest update? - I have 25.2.3 and I can't scale live text at max point size (which in 25.2.3 is 1296pt), by any method...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The transform effect can be used in older versions as well to get beyond the max point size. Just try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it, I was just doing Transform, not Transform Effect - thanks Monika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines