Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The minus front and minus back tools do not work properly in illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created an orange rectangular shape in illustrator and then created a piece of text using the text tool on a separate layer. I placed the text layer above the shape layer. Also, I placed the actual text on top of the orange box with a bit of the text slightly coming off the box. I then selected both the shape and the text and then used the minus front and minus back tool separately to punch the text out of the rectangular shape. However, the end result is not right as the top of the text is cut off. I’ve pretty much tried everything I possibly can to fix this issue but no luck. If anyone can help me out that would be great.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

I had to go to Type - create outlines for the text and then I ungrouped them and used the minus front tool for each letter individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show and please describe step by step

Did you outline the text?

Which pathfinder did you use? The effect? The panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have fixed the issue now but thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think from what you're describing that you're trying to use the text to punch a hole in the orange rectangle, so you can see through the text.

If that's the case, you want to create a Compound Path.

Try the following:

1. Position your type over the top of the orange rectangle.
  2. Outline the text, so it's paths instead of editable type (Type menu > Create Outlines).
  3. Select both the outlined type and rectangle and under the Object menu, go to Compound Path > Make.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I fixed the issue a different way but I will try your way and see if that works too. Thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Although I’ve now fixed the issue I just tried your way but it didn’t work I’m afraid. I just got the same cut off text again. Thanks for your help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have already done it and are now trying to fix the part of the text that is cut off?

Choose Undo. Move the text. Try again.

Why are you choosing both Minus Front and Minus Back on the same two shapes?

Or did I miss something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I meant that I tried using both tools to achieve the same result. Also, I’ve fixed the problem now. Thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arti,

How did you fix it?

Best,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to go to Type - create outlines for the text and then I ungrouped them and used the minus front tool for each letter individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  I have a white box with the date OCT. 27 - 29 outlined on top. When I select both objects and apply the minus front feature the T and the 7 do not work properly.  It is behaving as though it no longer recognizes the top left anchor and so it warps the top line (the same angle on both characters).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when applying the effect to each individual letter at a time it still didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I applied make pixel perfect and that seemed to have helped.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found this on another site after having the same issues no matter how many different methods I tried!

"Is GPU preview on? It sometimes leaves artifacts like this one you show. Try to switch to CPU and check again." You find it by going to "View>View Using CPU"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines