• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [!now]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to illustrator and am trying to export a png but illustrator keeps coming back with this error.

The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [!now]

What could be the cause? I have tried different solutions I have seen for other problems such as deleting hidden layers but nothing seems to be working.

I am running illustrator CC on a windows 10 computer. (Not sure if that helps.)

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

As already stated in that other thread:

Where do you save the file?

Which system, which version?

How large is the file?

How large will the exported file be? Does it work when you export a smaller file (pixel dimensions, lower resolution)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, and I don't have an answer as to why this is happening, BUT - this kept happening to me, too, and the workaround I used was to save out the illustrator file as a print-quality PDF, and then open that in Photoshop and save as a PNG. 

I hope this helps anyone else having this issue, because Adobe seems to be no help whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Just updated my graphic card driver and problem solved, 

you should try it too, can't export PNG will annoy us forever.

Using Illustrator on Win 10, nvidia card.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

It's July 2023 and I just got the ...[now!] error. After futzing for quite a while I figured that in my case the issue was caused by patterns used as a fill in a complex compound path. Expanding all the patterns solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already stated in that other thread:

Where do you save the file?

Which system, which version?

How large is the file?

How large will the exported file be? Does it work when you export a smaller file (pixel dimensions, lower resolution)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i get the same error just when i attemp to export a large file or great resolution but it does work with smaller files and lower resolution (i'm runing illustrator on windows 8.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi skey,

Please update the discussion if the issue is resolved or if you have any further query.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having this issue when I open and close random files. All files I open and close are in PDF format. It completes the opening and/or closing of the file but still throws up this error--

"The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [x!fd]"

It's rather irritating because I am dealing with hundreds of files throughout the day (not all at once).

Files are also fairly small in size (under 1MB).

Working on Mac Pro.    OS High Sierra 10.13.1     Illustrator CC 20.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nathanl39995532  schrieb

Working on Mac Pro.    OS High Sierra 10.13.1     Illustrator CC 20.0.1

That version of Illustrator is not compatible with High Sierra. You need to update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that is the latest update available for Illustrator? Are you saying I should downgrade Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest is 22.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops that was a typo on my part to begin with. I am currently on 22.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact support:

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I am on Windows running the latest version. I just downloaded the Adobe program last week. I opened the same file 30 minutes ago and it was able to export fine. All of a sudden I am getting this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depone00  schrieb

I am having the same issue. I am on Windows running the latest version. I just downloaded the Adobe program last week. I opened the same file 30 minutes ago and it was able to export fine. All of a sudden I am getting this error.

Exactly where are you saving?

Exatly what are you saving?

Is a printer installed?

What's in the file?

Do you use font management?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem as well. I do not see an actual answer on what is happening, or what I can do to fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact support via the link in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you mark this as the answer? You have answered nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue in 2019.  What gives?  The error message is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Christopher+Liam+Ivey  schrieb

I'm experiencing the same issue in 2019.  What gives?  The error message is useless.

Which issue?

Opening files?

Exporting a PNG?

Which system is it?

Where are the files located?

Is a printer connected?

Please create a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my responses to your questions:

Issue: The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [!now] appears when attempting to export art to a .png.

It may be because the of the desired output dimensions, but I have no way of knowing because of the ridiculous error message.  This is on the latest build of Illustrator, on Windows 7.

In this case I ran down the issue to canvas size by trying different file formats.  Just commenting on the fact that the message is still not useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

The forum is 95% not Adobe staff trying to help you with your problems. We can't change Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, I think I have a solution for you, maybe it will help. I had exactly the same problem, "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [!now]" while exporting files to png. Only you have to do is:

1. Turn off GPU acceleration (in settings>performance)

2. Close Illustrator

3. Open Illustrator, turn on GPU acceleration

I think that this error might be caused by some troubles between gpu and illustrator while rendering or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me, so not bullet proof

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issues with GPU acceleration are always individual to specific system and hardware setups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I was having the same issue- noticed, in my case, was related to the chosen resolution- I was trying to export in high resolution, when I downgraded to medium reso, it worked in both png an jpeg format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, and I don't have an answer as to why this is happening, BUT - this kept happening to me, too, and the workaround I used was to save out the illustrator file as a print-quality PDF, and then open that in Photoshop and save as a PNG. 

I hope this helps anyone else having this issue, because Adobe seems to be no help whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines