This file has been modified outside of Illustrator.

Feb 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This file has been modified outside of Illustrator. Do you want to continue?"

I keep getting this message. Anyone know what it means?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

This file has been modified outside of Illustrator.

Feb 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This file has been modified outside of Illustrator. Do you want to continue?"

I keep getting this message. Anyone know what it means?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 16, 2008 2
Feb 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means Illustrator thinks you (or someone else) opened the file in an application other than Illustrator, possibly made some edits, and then saved.

In the second part of the message, Illustrator would like to know whether you want to proceed with opening the file.

It's a disclaimer of sorts. Illustrator will open and let you work on the modified file, but if things get really messed up, Illustrator is not to be considered at fault.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2008 3
Mar 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer didnt help at all Harron. Thanks for reiterating in detail what the error message says. Obviously the person is asking because its probably not a possibility that anyone else can be working on the file when its sitting on your local desktop and not on a server.

-Disgruntled

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2008 9
Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it all the time. It has to do with ESKO plug-ins that we use  with illustrator. Can't get rid of it. Tried.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 30, 2018 1
Mar 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this message on opened and saved by me file without even closing the file from Illustrator

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2008 1
Mar 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have bridge running? it can occur when it opens the file to cache it and closes it again. Also if preview or something simmilar does this. It's nothing to worry about for the most part, other than being annoying.

BRETT

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2008 1
Apr 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do get this message quiet a lot!

it is at most annoying, although I get the added problem in that after I have had this message the file will fail to print until i close down the file and re open it again!!

Any suggestions most welcome??

BTW I am saving to a shared Network drive if this makes a difference, although no one else is using the file or indeed illustrator.

Cheers Gurus

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2009 0
Apr 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have probably opened the file in Acrobat and modified something or have a linked file say a .psd place in the document and it was altered
without updating it in Illy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2009 0
Resources