Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tidying up Strokes/Paths

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How can I avoid or amend connecting paths to make them more neat? I'm not sure if it's down to a general lack of skill in Illustrator or if I'm unaware of a partilcuar tool/technique. Playing with stroke size, using Select Outline then amending or working with the Shape Builder tool don't seem to do the job in this instance, but again I may not be applying them correctly. 

I have attached images for reference. Any help would be much appreacited - thank you. 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

In your preferences, uncheck Use Preview Bounds

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.36.46 AM.png

Make your drawing out of closed shapes

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.51.17 AM.png

View in Outline Mode to better see what is happening. Then select points with the Direct Select tool, and use the Align dialog to move the points into alignment. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.45.07 AM.png  

to fix jagged points, change the join cap to rounded.  

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.48.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.48.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Adam,

To avoid some of the issues, Smart Guides can be your friends, helping you to snap to an existing Anchor Point/path/centre/whatever by telling you when you are within snapping distance.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/illustrator/using/rulers-grids-guides-crop-marks.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your preferences, uncheck Use Preview Bounds

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.36.46 AM.png

Make your drawing out of closed shapes

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.51.17 AM.png

View in Outline Mode to better see what is happening. Then select points with the Direct Select tool, and use the Align dialog to move the points into alignment. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.45.07 AM.png  

to fix jagged points, change the join cap to rounded.  

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.48.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.48.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very helpful - thank you. Those cap/corner/align stroke adjustments are just what I was after.

I have one further query, which has come up just now actually. In Preview view,  two parrarel strokes that look side by side are on top of each other in Outline view, as per the attached. Is that normal?

Cheers,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adam,

To avoid some of the issues, Smart Guides can be your friends, helping you to snap to an existing Anchor Point/path/centre/whatever by telling you when you are within snapping distance.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/illustrator/using/rulers-grids-guides-crop-marks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines