Exit

tilt a dashed two color line in every path

Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I hoping someone can help me.

I want to draw a path and fill the line with two colors. Thats not hard, but I want to tilt the line in every path. Look at the attachement.

1. I can assemble a two-tone object from individual elements which I can tilt to the side like here. It looks like a line, but it is not.

2. I also get it as a line by simply adding a second dashed look to the line.

3. I can also add the second dashed color to a path line so that I can draw two-tone curved lines as I like.

But my problem is:

How can I combine 2 and 3? I want to draw a path as I like and add a dashed line look to it. But the dashed lines should be tilted, like in number 1? So a line like No. 1 that is not straight.

linies

Greetings,

MP

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

One way would be to make a brush out of line 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

You could also make a pattern fill with alternating stripes, then draw your line, use Object>Path>Outline Stroke and replace the fill with your pattern. The pattern can be rotated as you like using the rotate tool and unchecking the box to rotate the shape and checking the box to rotate the pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Larry G. Schneider

Yes, that works for me, thank you!

Any other ways to do this?

THX

MP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also make a pattern fill with alternating stripes, then draw your line, use Object>Path>Outline Stroke and replace the fill with your pattern. The pattern can be rotated as you like using the rotate tool and unchecking the box to rotate the shape and checking the box to rotate the pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Larry G. Schneider,

thank you very much. I think the first way is the better one for me.

Have just a litte problem with that, but I am sure you or one other of the absolutely pros here have a solution for me. Look at the bottom to my new entry here, maybe you want to help?

Greetings,

MP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the response given earlier, I'd recommend checking out this help article(https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/illustrator-create-pattern-brush.html) to know how to create a pattern brush in Adobe Illustrator. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this video url Ashutosh_Mashira

That helps very well and is the video to the way of Larry G. Schneider I think.

I have learned a lot because you und Larry are engaged to me. THX!

But I have one problem by creating pattern brushes, look that (I have no wacom oder something else):

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-02 um 16.22.31.png

thank you so much,

MP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-02 um 23.34.02.png

Draw a rectangle like the one shown in blue here.

Put it behind the two slanted rectangles.

Assign no stroke and no fill to that rectangle

Select all 3 objects and create the brush from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

I become near to the target hahaha

Now I have the next problem with that. I tried more than half an hour but cannot solve the problem. Maybe you can help again?

Look at the img. There are some white lines and I do not know, how to solve this. I tried to make the corner elements to a serperately pattern, but it look horrible...

If I use only what you had say, the white lines are there.

I will get crazy 🙂

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-03 um 17.00.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The white lines are anti-aliasing artifacts.

Did you create your own custom corner elements or did you use the automatic ones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your time.

I use the atomatic ones.

greetings

MP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. The automatic ones apply clipping masks, which are precise, but they apply clipping masks and then the antialiasing kicks in.

You could create your own corner tiles. Then don't use a clipping mask, but instead unite the shapes, which won't cause the antialiasing issue.

Just make your artwork like so (again: rectangle into the background and no fill/no stroke) and then create the brush

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-03 um 23.03.42.png

You can use the same corner for both corner elements, no need to rotate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Monika Gause,

I did all you had say, but the white thinn lines are still there. They are also there if I export to JPG oder PDF.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-04 um 10.06.21.png

I've spent hours with it now, my hair is gray and I am crazy. My eyes are big and roll uncontrollably.

hahaha

I thank you very much for the time you invest.

Greetings

MP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you could do is, let the art of the straight element slightly overlap the background invisible rectangle. Don't do that with the corner element.

Just slightly, this is a zoom on the right side in outline view:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-04 um 10.51.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

@Monika Gause

thank you so much. Very nice of you to try so hard to help. I also tried that. It didn't work, and new problems keep popping up. Now I just don't want to be able to keep the elements from being repeated over and over again. Even though I choose 1x1 when creating it, it still doesn't work. And if it does work again after a few attempts, then the white thin lines are there again, even if I build in the overlap as you have described.

Now I don't feel like wasting my and your lifetime with something like that. Many thanks again to you personally.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-04 um 11.37.42.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-01-04 um 11.34.52.png

@ To Adobe

Sorry, but I'm frustrated.

I've been working with your software for a long time. Pretty flawed and uncomfortable, sometimes very old-fashioned your Adobe products. And you can see that there is no passion in development. You are just lucky that it has historically developed in such a way that you have more or less a kind of monopoly position, since you were there right from the start. Since it has historically developed in such a way that there is currently no significant competition (you still cannot use Affinity in big business, because hardly anyone uses it and I have to exchange properly editable files with other departments), you are somehow trapped in yours Adobe products. Unfortunately, that won't change anytime soon. And that's all Adobe has. But Billanz doesn't need more than that.

It's a shame, really! You catch one in subscriptions that cost hundreds and thousands of euros over the years. They prefer to bring out dozens of new programs that only a handful of people need and incorporate hundreds of new functions and options that hardly anyone uses, instead of concentrating on what is really necessary and ensuring that it works easily and without errors. I know that it is an extremely demanding area to develop apps like this. That is precisely why it is not enough to rest on historical dominance. But well, life's finances are all that matters hahahah

I'm tired of having to invest tons of hours on every little thing, even though these are often things that are used ten thousand times over.

lg
MP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't create a pattern tile. There's no need to.

To create the brush, just drag the straight segment into the brushes panel.

Then drag the corner element. You need to press ALT while dragging the corner segment and then drag it onto the space where it belongs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz58kfaymxxt4zy/brush.mov?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

the drag and drop thing also for corners made the process itself easier. Good tip, thanks.

The result is still not precise.

If I do it the way you say, then I can make the white lines disappear, but there will be another problem at the edge.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-04 um 13.52.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-04 um 13.53.57.png

Doing something like this I want with absolute precision doesn't seem to be possible, or only by tricking a lot and investing the same amount of time in which you can build a house hahahah

I leave it now. All the best for you.

Greetings,
M.P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload the AI file to Dropbox or the like and post a link.

It's totally possible to make this and it's also possible to make this quickly. You need to know how to, but isn't that the case with everything you do?

For offset printing the antialiasing won't matter. Whenexporting to pixels you can try if it gets better with Supersampling rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello dear Monika Gause,

that is certainly correct what you say. Of course in life it is often the case that things are easy to see in isolation if you know how to do it.

But you have to see the big picture too. And when every little thing steals a lot of energy, then you get lost in unimportant things. Everyone has to decide for themselves what they want to invest their energy in.

Nevertheless, many thanks to you. I am very grateful that you are so committed. Great, really!

Maybe I want to play around with it again in the next few days. If I manage to do it, I'll post it here.

Greetings,MP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines