• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Toolbar options not working since latest CC update to 2014.1.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating the Illustrator to the latest version  2014.1.0 (18.1.0)  released through the Creative Cloud launch this week my toolbar does not allow me to select any of the tool options. For example my shape tool is stuck on the default for drawing rectangle. The same is true with every tool that displays the carrot arrow indicating further tool options. This issue has basically made illustrator useless to me. The keyboard shortcuts for the tools also are not opening the menus for the tool options.

Any idea what is happening?

I have already uninstalled Illustrator and tried to re-install it, but the issue still persists.

Thank you,

RDeshler

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rdeshler,

Please confirm the OS information of the machine.

However, please try to reset the preferences:

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator. Your current settings are deleted.
  • Remove or rename the AIPrefs file (Windows) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs file (Mac OS). New preferences files are created the next time you start Illustrator.

note: It is safe to remove the entire Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings folder. This folder contains various preferences that can be regenerated.

Please let me know if it doesn't worked.

Regards,

Sumit Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sumit,

Thank you for the speedy response!

I am using Windows 8.1. Also, I tried to reset the preferences for Illustrator, but it hasn't unfortunately solved the issue.

rdeshler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to change the DPI scale back to the default.

1. Click on the Start button, click on Control Panel, click on Appearance and Personalization, and then, under Display, click on Make text and other items larger or smaller.

2. Choose Smaller - 100% (default).

3. Click Apply.

4. To see the change, close all of your programs and then log off of Windows. This change will take effect the next time you log on.

Let me know if it doesn't worked.

Regards,

Sumit Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last suggestion did not work either. I have talked to my coworkers and 3 of them who also updated are having the exact same issue. No one is able to click on the toolbar and get the sub tool menus to open.

This does not seem like a preference or settings issue at all. Is it possible this is a bug due to the recent updates? Is this being reported by any other users?

Thank you for your assistance on this.

rdeshler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to replicate the issue on Windows 8.1 but it is working fine for us.

Try to disable Windows Aero

• Choose Start > Control Panel.
  • Double-click Personalization.

• Scroll down to the Basic and High Contrast Themes.

• Select one of the Basic or High Contrast themes, then wait for that theme to take effect.

• Re-create the problem behavior, and then do one of the following:

• If the problem doesn't recur, then Aero is the cause. Choose a Color Scheme other than Windows Aero to set up your Appearance of your desktop.
    • If the problem recurs, then Aero isn't the cause. Re-enable Aero.

To re-enable Aero:

• Choose Start > Control Panel
  • Double click Personalization
  • Choose one of the Windows Aero themes and close the Personalization control panel.

Let us know the outcomes.

Regards,

Sumit Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sumit,

I tried switching the theme as instructed, but I did not see any change in the bug I am experiencing.

We have 4 separate systems affected by this issue.

• 2 of the machines have been freshly wiped and re-installed with the WIN8.1 and Adobe CC software.
  • The other 2 machines just updated their existing software without wiping the systems.
  • 2 of the machines are Dell laptops
  • 2 of the machines are Alienware desktop towers.

All 4 still have the same issue.

When clicking and holding on any tool in the tool menu the sub-menu for any tool the sub-menu does not open. This issue was not experienced prior to the latest CC update.

I hope some of this additional info can help.

Thank you,

rdeshler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RDeshler,

Is right click working to open subtools?

Sanjay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanjay,

No, right clicking does not work either. The only way I am able to get to any of the non default tools is through a few keyboard shortcuts. Such as the circle shape tool using the "L" button. There is no way to to actually click on the tool and activate the alternate tool options or bring up the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RDeshler,

Does these machines have any touch support?

Sanjay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanjay,

We have no touch support monitors or laptops.

rdeshler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RDeshler,

All possible reasons are getting booted one by one. Have you tried resetting the preferences?  Is 17.1 version working correctly for you?

Sanjay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanjay

I was using the previous version of Illustrator prior to updating (same day) and had no issues with the toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanjay,

Has there been a solution to the problem of the alternate tools being prohibited as of yet?

Thanks,

Ronan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 24, 2014 Dec 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kronannerg,

Do you also have some 3rd party plugins? It looks like others were able to solve this by removing their 3rd party plugins or updating them.

Sanjay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue right now.  No sub-meus show on the Illustrator toolbar.  I have no plugins installed. I'm on Windows 8.1.  I can't get my job done!  Help please!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Garden Girl,

I had a similar issue as you. It was me being silly though.

The issue could be—at least in my case—is that you are not clicking and holding (don't drag) on the tool you are selecting.

My issue was I was clicking and dragging out to select the variant of a too to quick. What I needed to do was click and hold until the other options appeared and then move the mouse over to select the other tools.

Just a suggestion!

Hope it works for you too!

Thanks,

Ronan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is not my issues.  I uninstalled and reinstalled and that did fix the problem.  Then I began setting up my workspace the way I like which does involve moving the default toolbar to the right.  After doing this it stopped working again.  Perhaps it's a bug that the little menus don't want to overlay over the panels that are on the right?  Anyway I uninstalled and reinstalled again.  Moved the Toolbar to the right again, and this time it didn't crash.  So I moved the toolbar back to the left and proceeded to work normally for about 45 minutes when it crashed again.  So I uninstalled and reinstalled once more and called it a night.  I really need a fix for this Adobe.  I have an Wacom Intuos 5 if that helps.  This has always been a little buggy with Adobe products and Windows to my dismay it gets stuck at times, then I use my mouse to click and unfreeze it.  I love my tablet though.  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue and Adobe was extremely unhelpful regarding any fix or acknowledging it. And no I did not have any 3rd party plugins installed.

The only thing I found to allow me to select the other tool options, was to make sure the window wasn't maximized. Then the toolbar worked as it should. When it was maximized, it wouldn't work. I have a new computer that doesn't have the issue, but it still persists on my old one.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Scott.  I've been working all day and it hasn't crashed on me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem on Mac OS X 10.10.3  I cannot select tools in the Tool Palette if the palette has been "torn" from the application frame. Additionally, I cannot select sub-tools unless I right click on the tool tile. Sometimes a long press will work, but it's completely inconsistent. Edit: Retina MacBook Pro with discreet NVIDIA GT650M, built-in display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to give an update that my issue is only apparent on Apple El Capitan 10.11 Beta 1. Reverted to Yosemite 10.10, and the tool buttons are reliably clickable with this version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

I'm having a similar problem -- Win7 Pro, 18.1.0 update today, I have an empty panel that can be docked and undocked, resized and moved around but can not be deleted. Right clicking on the panel will not bring up a menu.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and have the same problem -- this is definitely a bug and very annoying!!!!  Spent time with Adobe Chat -- absolutely no help at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem (as user ldpinc ) on the Mac version of release 2014.1.0(18.1.0).  Mac OS version 10.9.5.

Non-removable panel that cannot be edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Idpinc,

Do you have some 3rd party plugin which might be creating this control bar.

Sanjay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines