• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Toolbar screwed up - Typetool not working Illustrator 2021 (25.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I come to use illustrator today after the latest Update (25.0)
The first frustration is they seem to have swapped the selection tool and direction tool position over in the tool-bar? Years of using illustrator and they do things like this which takes months to get used to again. It becomes second nature when clicking a button that's been in the same place for years - Why've you moved it?!

Secondly - I just went to type on a layer and the type tool isn't working with a particular font I use on my client's designs. Is it a known issue with any True Type Fonts? You'd think they would have tested the type tool?

Every time Adobe does an update be it illustrator photoshop etc I end up having to reinstall a previous version for a few weeks until they iron out the bugs of the new software - I work as an illustrator and graphic design with tight deadlines - this kind of thing slows down my workflow.

Have they just rushed this update through because of Adobe Max? It's great having all this new stuff, but not in jeopardy of the basics - I mean the type tool not working? Come on Adobe, please sort yourselves out!

I've rolled back to 24.3 just to get this work completed for my deadline. (which works fine) Maybe someone at Adobe can let us know when the bugs are ironed out of 25.0 and it's working as it should and if there's a fix to swap the selection tools back to where they've been for years?

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

WIthout having that actual font file this will be impossbile to solve.

You might want to report it on Uservoice so the engineers can take a look at your font file.

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should never update anything during a tight deadline.

As for the issues: please post screenshots.

Please tell us the exact issues you have with the font. And of course the name of the font. Do you use font management? It might not be compatible with the updated version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the initial frustration in my original post - It's the second time I've had major problems after an update - The last time I spent four hours with adobe support for them to eventually roll me back to a much earlier version until they fixed the bug with a new update. 

I updated to 25.0 over the weekend and the work and new deadline came in this morning - as is pretty usual for people working in design - There are always tight deadlines. - Surely you'd expect the software to have been bug checked before it's rolled out to customers - It seems like lately we the customer are the ones doing the bug checking. 

For the issues:
For the toolbar button location changes, I can customize to move it back to where it was (just frustrating that I have to).
I've used adobe products for 20+ years  - it becomes very frustrating when you get used to something that's been in the same place for years for it to change its location - more frustrating still when the icons look very similar, so you get confused as to what's wrong until you compare the old version with the new and realize what has happened. 

The font is a custom opentype font made with fontself plugin for illustrator (https://www.fontself.com/)
It works perfectly in illustrator 24.3 Just doesn't show anything at all in the text field on 25.0 (There's not really anything to screen grab but the Text icon.) - Illustrator goes into "Not Responding"
It's just a normal OpenType font so not sure what the issue would be - I can't see it being a compatibility issues as there's nothing special about it.

Again thanks for your reply. Sorry to be so annoyed initially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the toolbar: you could try out the options in Window > Toolbar.

But apart from additions of new tools I'mnot aware of changes they have made. There weren't any new tools in 2021.

As for the font: I have used Fontself to create fonts as well and cannot see any issues with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika,
I've fixed the toolbar issue by clicking the edit toolbar button and moving the location of the button back manually. I've also saved a new workspace preset with toolbars in case tools are moved again in the future.

I'm still having an issue with the text tool, but only with that one fontself created font (OpenType) I've asked on the fontself forum to see if anyone else is experiencing any similar issues with fonts created previously and the 25.0 release.

I'll try uninstalling and installing 25.0 again once I've got this current work out to the client - see If that makes any difference.

Thanks again, and sorry for being grumpy in my initial post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Hope the font issue can be fixed.

(you're not using font management, are you? After an update Illustrator can be prissy about them)

No worries about the tone of your post. Have a nice day/evening/night/morning!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I'm still having problems.

The guys at fontself have tested my font on their version of illustrator 2021 and it shows up fine for them
For me It's showing in windows and even on the thumbnails of saved files on the illustrator startup screen.
As soon as I open those files in illustrator the text isn't showing.
I've uninstalled 2021 and installed afresh, but still the same issue.
I'm running windows 10 64bit w/ 32gb ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WIthout having that actual font file this will be impossbile to solve.

You might want to report it on Uservoice so the engineers can take a look at your font file.

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines