Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

touchpad gestures: pinch zoom, two fingers pan on InDesign and Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've noticed that using the gestures on the touchpad on my HP laptop, the functions zoom in/out and pan (horizontally) are not working on both InDesign and Illustrator. The same actions work on Photoshop, and I know you can zoom in and out using Ctrl+ or Ctrl- but that only zooms towards the centre of the image, and if I want to navigate the image when it's zoomed in I have to select the Hand tool, click and drag on the image which makes it really long and frustrating when I'm working, because say if I'm using the pen tool, I would have to stop using it to move across the artwork. I've read numerous threads and looked for video tutorials, but seems like the quickest way to zoom in and out is Ctrl+/-. Is there anything I'm missing? why am I able to use these actions on Photoshop?

Also, as far as I remember, the same functions work just fine on Mac which makes me wanna consider buying one, but I really hope there's a way to overcome this on Windows.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Hi Adriano,

Sorry about the frustrating experience. Please share your feature request here at our Adobe Illustrator Feedback form.

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

New versions of Illustrator (mine is 25.31) have the option to "force enable Pinch to zoom on touchpad" under Preferences>General. Works like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Touch support works completely different on Windows. Apps need to explicitly support it. And there's your answer: PS does, the other apps don't. This is nothing that can be fixed by flipping some hidden magic switch or whatever.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is beyond annoying,it makes the workflow slow and frustrating, are the developers aware of this? Why don't they do something about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adriano,

Sorry about the frustrating experience. Please share your feature request here at our Adobe Illustrator Feedback form.

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New versions of Illustrator (mine is 25.31) have the option to "force enable Pinch to zoom on touchpad" under Preferences>General. Works like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This works great! Thank you!
Why is this not the default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines