• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform Effect dimensions are incorrect [bug?]

Participant ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have come across something annoying in Illustrator that I think is a bug. Interestingly, I can't seem to find any similar reports. Can someone help me understand what is going on?

Testing out the "Transform" effect from Add New Effect > Distort & Transform > Transform menu. Trying to create a horizontal grid with the Transform effect and I found out that the number written in the dialog box doesn't corresposnd to actual dimensions. Here I'm trying to get horizontal lines with a 0.25 cm gap between them. But it's not really 0.25, as you can see (the guides show where the second line should fall).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Screenshot.jpg

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Are the rulers also set up in metric? If so, then your guide is not at 0.25

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Thank you so much! You're right, my guides weren't 0.25 apart and there's nothing wrong with the Transform Effect. I spent several hours yesterday trying to find the reason. I'm glad it's not a bug, just my inattentiveness.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using Cm units while you are in RGB mode,

Try using Px, or create a new document CMYk and repeat the steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using metric units in RGB mode for 6-7 years now and I never had any precision problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .25 cm transform is from the center of one line to the center of the next (or top edge to edge, bottom edge to bottom edge). To create a gap of .25 cm, from the bottom of the top line to the top of its neighbor beneath, add the stroke weight (or thickness) of the line to the .25 cm in the vertical move field.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the rulers also set up in metric? If so, then your guide is not at 0.25

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! You're right, my guides weren't 0.25 apart and there's nothing wrong with the Transform Effect. I spent several hours yesterday trying to find the reason. I'm glad it's not a bug, just my inattentiveness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should not be a problem using metric units in RGB.

Try zooming to 100 or 200%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@VahePogossian 

As @Monika Gause said before:

The position of your second guide ist y≈0.28 (your ruler unit)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a better look at it, like Monika and pixxxelschubser noticed, your guides are wrong (but your rulers are correctly showing the Transform effect)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines