• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform effects are appearing below content, not above

Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experimenting with spirograph like patterns and effects, To do this I have created primitive shapes like squares and hexagons and applied transfrom effects like this…

squares.png

In the above example there is one square with a black stroke and no fill. Even though I tell the stroke not to scale, it is scaled.

The problem is the duplicates are stacked below the primary object or group. I don’t think this has always been the case. See this one…

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 11.28.20 AM.png

If I expand the appearance I can see outlines for all the shapes. But I need the duplicates to appear above the source image. Is thee a way to do this? Is this a bug?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Scott,

If you start with a small shape and scale it up (that is, greater than 100%), it stacks the other way. And I'm not seeing stroke scaling unless I tell it to.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transform is a "Post-effect" - it always gets applied afterwards initially. But you can move it above the Contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn’t help.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 3.24.16 PM.png

What did work is making the shape a compound path.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 3.27.20 PM.png

I think this is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I was on the wrong track. But I seem to remember this was always the case (for me at least, which means CS2).

My oldest version is CS3 and here is the screenshot:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-12 um 00.41.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My oldest version is CC 2017 and it does the same. I guess it was always bugged. And I would certainly call this a bug. Duplicating with Option-drag or Object > Transform puts the duplicate above the source. The effect should do the same.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 4.25.54 PM.png

Reported as a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not solve your problem with the stacking order, but it gives a similar effect.

I filled a rectangle with white and gave the fill a Difference blending mode.

Transform difference.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

If you start with a small shape and scale it up (that is, greater than 100%), it stacks the other way. And I'm not seeing stroke scaling unless I tell it to.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your approach sounds promising, Peter. Unfortunately I cannot confirm the reverse order.

Guess by "it stacks the other way" you mean that the copies are then created above the original path, don't you?

What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt,

I am certain that Peter (it is rather early/late for him) means that the effect of the inherent and unchangeable order is countered by starting from the small end, so larger will be behind smaller, as desired.

Obviously, to get (almost) the same size of the largest one, it is necessary to invert the settings (inverse scaling and rotation and a starting size that equals the desired ending size divided by the [number of copies]th power of the (inverse) scaling (was that sane speak?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, your last sentence is rather insane, Jacob, but all in all I think that you clarified a bit and Peter may have a well-deserved catnap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, Kurt.

I forgot to mention that it is, of course, possible to correct the (almost) desired size of the largest one, simply multiplying/dividing by the relative inaccuracy in the Transform palette (in the case below it was about 1.0002).

The switch of order as suggested by Peter can be seen here, with a filled square and a slower scaling, showing the inversion of the stacking order quite clearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparantly, there are four snoopy crocodiles at the edges in your first red sketch, Jacob.

What are they doing there? Are they dangerous?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jacob, for clarifying my blather. I've been Shakespeareing all day, and haven't checked back here to survey the damage. Yes, I am in an off-the-beaten-track time zone, and keep out-of-standard hours therein.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Kurt, ever waiting for those foolhardy enough to plunge in(to the unknown).

Hence the (rather solid) colour of the water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Would that be the Scottish play, or are you too close to the theatre to give an answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Henry IV, part 2, and I'm not superstitious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, consequentially your second red shot shows the crocodile death rolls, as far as I can see. Is that right?

Pretty coherent sketch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quite right, Kurt.

But I believe they will claim to be misunderstood lizards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines