Highlighted

Transparency lost in linked illustrator files

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ofted use to link .ai files inside my mayn illustrator files. In the new cc version of illustrator 23 if the linked .ai file contains a trasparency, the trasparency effect (opacity 10% for example) is lost and in preview and in the pdf files the opacity is 100%. This happen both for vectorial and raster objects. In this situation the only slutio is to raster the object, but is a not reversible action. Is this a bug or a configuration problem?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

I think the issue can be reproduced if you disable the Embed ICC Profiles option in the (Save as) Illustrator Options. In that case the linked .ai file does not display according to the opacity settings. Embedding (or – as you mentioned – rasterizing) the linked file seems to restore that.

Smells like a bug.

What does happen if you turn on the Embed ICC Profiles option in the (Save as) Illustrator Options?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Transparency lost in linked illustrator files

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ofted use to link .ai files inside my mayn illustrator files. In the new cc version of illustrator 23 if the linked .ai file contains a trasparency, the trasparency effect (opacity 10% for example) is lost and in preview and in the pdf files the opacity is 100%. This happen both for vectorial and raster objects. In this situation the only slutio is to raster the object, but is a not reversible action. Is this a bug or a configuration problem?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

I think the issue can be reproduced if you disable the Embed ICC Profiles option in the (Save as) Illustrator Options. In that case the linked .ai file does not display according to the opacity settings. Embedding (or – as you mentioned – rasterizing) the linked file seems to restore that.

Smells like a bug.

What does happen if you turn on the Embed ICC Profiles option in the (Save as) Illustrator Options?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 05, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share one of those .ai files that you use as linked files?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the link the original .ai file.

Dropbox - Coupon.ai - Simplify your life

Illustrator_2019-04-05_12-41-19.jpgIllustrator_2019-04-05_12-45-55.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2019 0
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smells like a bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, activating the "embed ICC Profiles" the problem disappears.  Saving the file turning on the the embedd ic profiles seems to be a solution. I don't know if this is a bug.

For future reader I will above post agai the problem just becouse in the last message I posted the wrong jpeg.

Thank you for the support.

Illustrator_2019-04-05_12-42-52.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2019 0
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that this is an irritating bug. In older versions of Illustrator it works properly without having to embed colour profiles.

You may report it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the solution!  I thought something was a little odd with that, and linked files are really important when I'm dealing with monster files and need to divide to conquer!

All the best,

Rog

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have 3 like documents that I'm trying to link and only one is giving me issues with not showing the transparency effect, unless I embed the file which makes it much harder to navigate the whole file. Tried the comment below with no change in the file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2019 0
Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a new thread, describe your problem exactly (post screenshots) and name your system and version. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2019 0