• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trimming to size of artboard when exporting PNG - No clipping masks allowed!

Contributor ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Came up empty with Professors Google and YouTube, so here goes...

I want to export out a bunch of PNGs from Illustrator, and only save the EXACT artboard/pixel dimensions when exporting. That is trim everything else outside of the artboards.

No luck, it still includes say +5 pixels here or +10 pixels there outside of the artboard. Sometimes random, no logic to it.

Driving me nutz. And no, I don't want to do clipping masks because it's an uncessary extra step I have to go through ALL of these PNGs on the artboards.

Once upon a time.. I believe in older AIs there was a 'clip to artboard' option, but now can't find it anywhere in Illustrator 2021.

Thanks for reading and any insights!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Well ain't that a peach..

'Use Artboards' was always checked.

However the artboard size was set to PPT size - 5.63 x 10 in inches. When I convert the Units to pixels, I do get the decimal value.

Once I rounded the pixels to absolutes, then export PNG, I get the true trimmed size!

Thanks a Ton. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, love answering my own technote..

So Export > Export As.. function is kludgy. Refuses to trim your artboards. And even when you do have a clipping mask set to the size of your artboard, it gifts you a nice white border around your PNG. 🙄😕

So it's Export > Save for Web (Legacy).. , and that does the trick. There is a 'clip to artboard' option.

Now my next hurdle is for that export option to save my settings. Which it's refusing to do.  No clue why. Jumping from one kludge to another.. 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I want to export out a bunch of PNGs from Illustrator, and only save the EXACT artboard/pixel dimensions when exporting. That is trim everything else outside of the artboards."

Check the Use Artboards option during Export > Export As...

Also make sure that your artboards have round pixel values for Width and Height and that the top left X Y values don't contain fractional pixels to avoid that extra pixels added.

Use artboards export as.png

I am interested in examples that add "+5 pixels here or +10 pixels there outside of the artboard." 

If you can share such an Illustrator file, we can try to figure out what goes wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well ain't that a peach..

'Use Artboards' was always checked.

However the artboard size was set to PPT size - 5.63 x 10 in inches. When I convert the Units to pixels, I do get the decimal value.

Once I rounded the pixels to absolutes, then export PNG, I get the true trimmed size!

Thanks a Ton. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines