Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

True vector path instead of filled object, from Adobe Draw to Illustrator

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I drew a lined drawing in Adobe Draw and sent it to Illustrator to cut out on my laser cutter. However, it converts as an outline of the lines. I have searched and searched and asked around and I haven't found a resolution that works for me. I have learned that Adobe Draw isn't actually drawing a vector line, but a filled object (why??) but I don't know how to get around that. I am attaching a photo of what it looks like when I image trace it in AI. 

I currently have AI version 25.2.1 and Adobe Draw version 4.9.4.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 10.44.34 AM.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know Draw or how you "sent" it to Illy, but can you save the Draw doc as a pdf, then open the pdf in Illy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. When I export it from Draw to Illustrator, it is a PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how Adobe Draw works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. I'm just wondering if there is a way to convert it to a single line path or another program I can use to easily draw a single vector line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator on iPad can draw single vector lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, but it doens't give me enough control over the pen. I need pretty precise lines/curves and the pen in illustrator on the iPad doesn't give me that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have Illustrator for the Desktop, can you use the Pen tool there to trace over it and redraw?

ImageTrace might work if you make it raster, but you are looking for "pretty precise".

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, thanks for your reply. I did try rastering it and then image tracing it, but that's how I ended up with the double line. I'm not sure if the pen tool would give me enough control to do the drawing. Have you tried something like this in the past?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

I don't know how well you understand Image Trace. Spin open the "Advanced" section (which I call "The Essentials) and click through the various Presets. Notice that some create fills while others create paths. Find the preset that gives you the best start, then tweak the settings before you Expand.

Here is the Help file from Adobe. Note that it was written by @Monika Gause , who has already replied in this thread:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/image-trace-results-optimization.html

The Pen tool will work if you know how to use it. There is a learning curve.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/use-pen-tool.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines