Highlighted

Trying to crop layers in illustrator! (beginner)

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have some artwork which is split into three main layers, with other layers within these. I am trying to crop all the layers within Layer 3 to be in line with a path in another layer, but when I try to use the crop image tool the options are greyed out and I can't seem to get a clipping mask to work either. The second image attached shows the path I am trying to crop to.

I know how to do these things in photoshop but illustrator is proving difficult to grasp! Any help would be much appreciated.

Layer 3 is the one I want to cropLayer 3 is the one I want to cropThis is the path I want to crop the layer to be in line with (just the horizontal line of the path, not vertical)This is the path I want to crop the layer to be in line with (just the horizontal line of the path, not vertical)

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

You need to use a clipping mask.

You can apply a clipping mask to the layer "artwork". It would then mask all the layers inside that layer.

Create thas path and move it to the top position on that layer. Then click on the layer in the layer panel once and click on the mask button at the bottom of the layer panel.

TOPICS
How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Trying to crop layers in illustrator! (beginner)

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have some artwork which is split into three main layers, with other layers within these. I am trying to crop all the layers within Layer 3 to be in line with a path in another layer, but when I try to use the crop image tool the options are greyed out and I can't seem to get a clipping mask to work either. The second image attached shows the path I am trying to crop to.

I know how to do these things in photoshop but illustrator is proving difficult to grasp! Any help would be much appreciated.

Layer 3 is the one I want to cropLayer 3 is the one I want to cropThis is the path I want to crop the layer to be in line with (just the horizontal line of the path, not vertical)This is the path I want to crop the layer to be in line with (just the horizontal line of the path, not vertical)

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

You can apply a clipping mask to the layer "artwork". It would then mask all the layers inside that layer.

Create thas path and move it to the top position on that layer. Then click on the layer in the layer panel once and click on the mask button at the bottom of the layer panel.

TOPICS
How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! Way easier than I imagined.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

This is already slightly advanced stuff, so you'll get into this vector thing quickly!

Since packaging dielines don't get moved around on the artboard, this is easy to use, but should you ever need to move it around, you need to make sure the clipping path is selected as well. Check it in the layers panel, it needs to have that colored square on the right that signals the selection.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 1