• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off automatic joining of paths?

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating an illustration using the pen tool. When I start a new path that touches an already-created path, the new path automatically becomes part of the old one. Is there a way to stop Illustrator from doing this (without creating a separate layer for each path)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can lock the first path with the keyboard command Command (Mac)/Control (PC)-2. You can later unlock it with Option (Mac)/Alt(PC) Command/Control-2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that does the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a better way to do this?

I have multiple reference lines that I use to draw with the pen tool. Locking and locking each reference line is unfeasible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the reference lines on their own layer and lock the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an even better way of doing this? I'm trying to make some single line drawings and when I loop back around to an earlier part of the same path, it often rejoins it. Is there not a way to turn this off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which tool are you using?

What do you mean with "loop back" - click on the starting point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the brush tool.

What I mean by looping back is this. I'm making a single line drawing by tracing around a photo, when the path I'm drawing goes near an earlier part of the path (or sometimes overlaps), sometimes it will automatically merge with it, changing the shape of the path. I think it happens if I go near an anchor point. I would prefer it if this didn't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could double click the brush tool and there are options what should happen with the selection and if the brush tool can edit existing paths. Does it help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-click the pencil tool (or whatever tool you're using). Make sure that "Close paths when ends are within _ pixels" option is off. This should do the trick!

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 3.55.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 3.56.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Affinity Designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe I never noticed this before, but what I'm currently working on keeps constantly joining previously made paths. There is no way to deactivate this?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@astinar  schrieb:

I can't believe I never noticed this before, but what I'm currently working on keeps constantly joining previously made paths. There is no way to deactivate this?!?!

WIthout having a step by step description of what you are doing, it will be very difficult to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the pen tool, and when I draw a line that intercepts the end of another line, it joins the first line (path's) endpoint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual workaround is clicking the mext point away from existing points, then hold the mouse down, press and hold the spacebar and move the point to where it belongs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, you may just draw in Isolation mode to prevent automatic joining.

That is, draw any path, isolate the path (enter Isolation mode), then draw with the Pen tool in Isolation mode as long as you don't want to auto join the paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines