• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tying to use an existing text logo and use draw inside feature using a picture.

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-

I have an logo that is an ai. file and I want to use an image inside the logo for sweatshirts. When i open my logo in illustrator and select it the draw inside is not selectable. 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Rolling Bean,

As I (mis)understand it, what you need is to show inside rather than draw inside.

You can just place the image beneath the text, which can be live Type, then Ctrl/Cmd+7 to create a Clipping Mask, which will hide everything in the image outside the latters of the text.

With the Clipping Mask Group expanded in the Layers palette, you can (deselect and) Direct Select the image and move it about for best looking fit of the visible parts under the letters.

If you already have (t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there already a clipping mask applied in the file?

Then drawing inside doesn't work that easily.

You can double click your logo to get into isolation mode. Then replace whatever is already inside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rolling Bean,

As I (mis)understand it, what you need is to show inside rather than draw inside.

You can just place the image beneath the text, which can be live Type, then Ctrl/Cmd+7 to create a Clipping Mask, which will hide everything in the image outside the latters of the text.

With the Clipping Mask Group expanded in the Layers palette, you can (deselect and) Direct Select the image and move it about for best looking fit of the visible parts under the letters.

If you already have (taken over an AI file with) a Clipping Mask containing an older image, you can just place the new image and drag it down into the expanded Clipping Mask Group right above the older image and delete or hide the latter, or just leave it be (by hiding/leaving it, you can use it again by hiding the new one (and showing the old one if hidden), and that way you can switch back and forth between images).

You can also extend the switching option by gathering whichever number of images desired in the Clipping Mask and switching between their being visible.

As a silly afterthought, I believe a Clipping Mask could actually also have been called Show Inside; I prefer Clipping Mask though, for a few reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines