Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type on a path spacing vs. tracking/kerning

Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How is the Type on a path Spacing option different from Tracking/Kerning for the type on the path? I am referring to a curved path, not a straight path. Is it actually different?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had read that prior to writing here. If you can pinpoint where in that Adobe online help it answers my question, please tell me where to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen a more technical explanation of this, so most people will only be able to offer their own deductions.

My deduction is that tracking affects all the text you apply it to, but somehow thw path text settings take into account the path itself and adjust only where necessary. Sometimes this doesn't work and you will have to use custom kerning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

I didn't see much of an explanation in the article that was quite relevant, except the last paragraph which doesn't explain the difference: "The Spacing value has no effect on characters positioned on straight segments. To change spacing of characters anywhere along the path, select them, and then apply kerning or tracking."

I have not tried to A/B the two. Perhaps that could show if there is any difference. If there is no difference, I wonder what the purpose of Spacing is. It's odd that Spacing is specified in a different unit than kerning/tracking.

Thanks for your insight, I had not thought of the possibility of a piecewise effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience the Spacing settings in the Type on a Path options dialog may often be pretty irrational and rather not predictable compared to tracking in the Type palette.

You can especially observe it when using high positive or negative spacing values in the Type on a Path dialog.

At least in my eyes it is not logically consistent, but I may sometimes be a bit dense, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt. Actually, the purpose of my question was to decide which one to use. I am also leaning towards kerning/tracking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the times I would definitely use the tracking settings in the Type palette, Pretzel.

They are reliable whereas the settings in the Type on a Path Options dialog may wreak havoc or at least leads to some odd results (do an experiment and choose some values higher than 100 (positive or negative) there).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One more question about this. If I want to use kerning/tracking to space the characters on the path rather than Type on a Path Spacing, then what value should I set the Type on a Path Spacing to? Default is Auto but this isn't zero. And if I go by Monika's possible explanation of how it functions, then whether it's auto or a set value, that Spacing value may be applied or not, depending on the path's curvature. Is it possible to turn it off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines