• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Copy & Paste in Save As Dialog box in Illustrator 2020 on macOS Catalina

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else encountering this with Illustrator 2020? What is weird is that this function was working just fine, and then one day when I started working, all of a sudden I cannot copy and paste text into the Save As dialog box. You may think that this is just a miniscule thing to be annoyed by; however, I work for a marketing firm and I create tons of ads for businesses on the daily. It is much faster for me to just copy and paste a business's name into that field and save it really quickly. Now, what I have to do, which is super, super annoying and just takes up more of my time, is that I save it as "Untitled" into the appropriate folder, then I have to close the document, go to the folder, and rename it to get it to paste the name that I want, then I have to open the document back up. This is ridiculous and I really hope that either someone has found a way to change this setting or that Adobe updates this bug ASAP.

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Hi @gui.cirilo @skivvie @Southwest Grafix,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue. I understand this has been pending for a long time. Our Product team is already aware of this, and it is in their backlog.

We try to address as many bugs as possible with every release and prioritize on the basis of issue severity or no. of upvotes/ user volume regarding the particular issue. I have informed them again regarding the issue.

Moreover, I would request you all to upvote this UserVoice

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i also already tried to fresh install Catalina 10.15.7.. then install Illustrator 25.. but copy paste shortcut still not working.. this but is really annoying.. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for those who still struggle to use a shortcut on save as, i create (well, modified to be exact) a script which will save your file on Desktop (you can edit it to wherever you want to save).

this script will save your file on a folder which has the same name as your file. and cmd-V also works.. 🙂

there are 2 scripts you can use.. one will create a folder which has the same name as your file (your file will be save on that folder). and one without creating a folder.

please see this script in action here : https://youtu.be/YtwaaLq7GdI

i know it's not perfect as you can't decide where you want to save your file on the fly, but at least this script allow you to copy paste AND without struggle with pre-selected extension.. 😄

nb : i'm not a programmer, i just take the code here and there.. and then modified it. so i'm not taking request to modify it.. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

What I had to do for the longest time, before they came out with Illustrator 2021, was I had to revert to the 2019 version in order for it to work. I'm so glad to see that this post has helped others, and even encouraged some to make their own scripts to alleviate the strength.

Since updating to the 2021 version, I haven't had this issue, so they seemed to have fixed it as of now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still not working.  Very Frustrating haveing to highlight with mouse and copy and paste.  This used to work well but now uggh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People at Adobe: You should understand the problem, I am so embarassed for you. Cringe-worthy that anyone needs to explain this issue to you. No self respect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still not working. So Frustrating!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Southwest Grafix,

Sorry to hear about the experience. I understand your frustration. However, I am unable to replicate this issue in Illustrator v26.0.2 running on macOS 12.1. I am able to cmd +c and cmd +v; right-click to copy & paste in the save as dialog box. This generally happens when a third-party app interferes with the Illustrator or the Illustrator preferences are corrupted.

I would request you to please try the following steps and let me know how it goes:

1. Try running the Illustrator app only in Safe Mode  (Mac) & Root account (Mac) and check if you are able to copy & paste in save as dialog box
  2. Close all Adobe applications and go to the following locations:
    • ~/Library/Caches
    • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
    • ~/Library/Preferences
    Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe. Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings.old and Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.
  3. Rename the CEP folder to CEP.old from the following location:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe
  4. If that doesn't help, rename the UXP folder to UXP.old from the following locations:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe
    ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
  5. If that doesn't help either, uninstall the application using the CC Cleaner tool and reinstall from the Creative Cloud Desktop app.

I'll be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to create a new folder on the save as dialog box and see if you can cmd +v.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to create a new folder on the save as dialog box and see if you can cmd +v on the "new folder dialog box".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for clarifying that. You are correct; in the new folder dialog box, we can only copy & paste using right click but not cmd + c/v. I checked with the team, and they are aware of this issue. They are currently working with Apple to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear you are working on the issues, but it worked before.  Why is this taking so long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 26.0.3. issue is still there.. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we still not have an answer for this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 26.1 STILL NOT WORKING!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are facing a new issue that has been introduced with Mac OS Monterey 12.3

For some it worked to completely uninstall and then run the Cleaner tool and reinstall.

For others it worked to resize the window

For others it worked to reset the OOBE folder

To get updates on the process, vote for this issue on Uservoice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

none of this worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS STILL NOT WORKING SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked??? Almost one year after your test?

ALL Discussions are going to same place: Someone from adobe teste and (worked), but: No!

It doesn't work anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS STILL NOT WORKING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Southwest Grafix,

I am really sorry for the delay. I know it is taking longer than usual to fix this issue. As of now, there is no ETA when this issue will be fixed, but I have notified the product team about this, and the bug is already logged for this.

Also, we try to address as many bugs as possible with every release and prioritize on the basis of issue severity or no. of upvotes/ user volume regarding the particular issue. I assure your team is aware of this, and I will request them again to prioritize for the July release. I would request you to please be patient and stay tuned for the updates.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years seems to be very long time to fix a problem. But there is nothing i can do except wait for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is driving me NUTS. I do this action many times a day in my workflow and it seems to have been reintroduced recently since I updgraded to Monterey. Wasn't happening on my previous install. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IS THIS SOLVED YET.  STILL HAVEING ISSUES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Still happening here as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines