Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to replace spine

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm just trying to replace the spine of an object to a path created, the option to do so is unavailable (greyed out). I have a feeling I may have fiddled with something in my preferences but I haven't a clue what, where or when. I'd be grateful for any help with this

Jack

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

You have to make a blend, then draw a new path and then use Replace Spine .

it doesnt work on any 2 paths.

like on this video from youtube

Tutorial: Adobe Illustrator on replacing the spine in your blend - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide more information which would include a screen shot of what you are doing as well as any relevant panels (appearance, layers. etc.) so that it is clear what you are trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for the lack of info I wasn't sure what exactly to provide. I've attached a screenshot of what it is i'm trying to do.screen 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to make a blend, then draw a new path and then use Replace Spine .

it doesnt work on any 2 paths.

like on this video from youtube

Tutorial: Adobe Illustrator on replacing the spine in your blend - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a video about blend tool... but it is in my native language. Anyway, you can watch it.

Adobe Illustrator CC -Խառնորդ Գործիքը (Blend Tool) in Armenian - YouTube

For replacing spine you need to select both  "blended objects" and new path than apply "Replace Spin" as suggest Ray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean blending "replace Spine"? Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes blend > replace spine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is older and is marked as answered but I think it's incomplete. Although, yes you can only replace spine with one object at a time, you also need to make sure it's not a compound path.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi.

try to select the path and choose Ungroup even if it one path, then go to replace spline, it will be enable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Replace Spine option is greyed out, try Object --> Expand before you make the Blend. After that you just select your Blend and the whatever shape you want as a spine, and do what other people here have answered (Object --> Blend --> Replace Spine)

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i'm new in illustrator and at this moment i'm trying to colored the word rainbow with the colors of the rainbow. 

So, after i make the blend of the colors, i wanted to blend them in the title. but after trying to expand, ungroup, the option Replace Spine is always not available. Do you think that is because the lettering i used a type of lettering? Like Arial?

Thank you for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, please make a new topic, including screenshots and a description of what you are trying to do and what's not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines