• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save file on a Network Location in Illustrator 2020 on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving to our usual server in AI 2020 I keep getting this error message for no obvious reason. I work on a file and when I choose Save after a long attempt to save I get this error box:

"The specified network location is unavailable. Check your network connection and/or save your file to a different location."

I have to then save to my desktop. On the server I can't overwrite the file or delete it, so have to move the previous file and it's matching .tmp file into another new folder, copy my file from the desktop, and I can then delete the folder and it's contents. This is yet another joke release from Adobe, what with Photoshop making a 'Photoshop' empty folder on our servers too, and numerous InDesign problems as well.

(Renamed By MOD)

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

SOLVED!

I turned off the new "Optimize File Open and Save Time on Slow Networks (Beta)" feature and the issue has gone away.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

I was having this same issue, but the posted solution of turning off "Optimize File Open and Save Time on Slow Networks (Beta)" didn't work. I work for a company that uses an external harddrive (a fantom drive). Turns out the drive was full. So after clearing out files I was about to save again. 

In fact unchecking that box created a different error message. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator while saving files on a network location. 

Though we have limited support on Network and VM related issues( https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html). From personal experience I would suggest you few things which you must check: 

• Check if this is happening with your user account only or with multiple users.
  • Check if there is any antivirus or if there is any endpoint security or if there is any restriction imposed by your IT Team. Due to this sometimes the server does not allow the application to save but you are able to save outside the application.
  • This generally happens when network policies or Operating System is updated, check with your IT team for the same.

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

Thanks for your reply. I perhaps should have added that the only thing that has changed since this has started happening is that I'm using AI 2020. Nothing else has changed on my Mac, or the server we've been using for many years without problems with previous releases of AI.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm, this problem still exists in the latest 24.0.1 release.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!

I turned off the new "Optimize File Open and Save Time on Slow Networks (Beta)" feature and the issue has gone away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it has been resolved! Feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. Thanks!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you guys are tracking on this at this time but this was the solve for myself and many of my peers at work.  Life saving solve.  Bummer that the beta appears to be not quite ready but I guess that's what Beta is for. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's something also odd that I've just found with this Beta check box.  I unchecked it on the date of my last post.  As of today I had the issue again and I checked back on my settings only to find that the box was re-checked!  I didn't do the rechecking of the box so it makes me wonder if there's also something wonky going on with saving our preferences and keeping them in place.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been dealing with the same problem and it was driving me nuts! Thanks for posting the solve (and for solving your own issue)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where exactly do I go to turn off 'Optimize File Open and Save Time on Slow Networks (Beta)' feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having issues saving to local folders.  I tried to my folder synched with Google Drive and I also tried to a local only folder in My Documents. Saving was taking forever if it was successful at all.  Unchecking that option seems to have fixed my issue also.  Thank you for sharing.

v. 24.2 64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you THANK YOU!! This was extremely annoying 😄 and it is still happening on newest update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where exactly do I go to turn off "Optimize File Open and Save Time on Slow Networks (Beta)" feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to your illustrator preferences > File Handling & Clipboard > Under "Files" you'll see "Optimize File Open and Save Time on Slow Networks (Beta)" .  Make sure that box is unchecked. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 1.42.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having this same issue, but the posted solution of turning off "Optimize File Open and Save Time on Slow Networks (Beta)" didn't work. I work for a company that uses an external harddrive (a fantom drive). Turns out the drive was full. So after clearing out files I was about to save again. 

In fact unchecking that box created a different error message. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines