• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save Illustrator files after Big Sur Update (Beta) [Locked: Big Sur has been released]

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note from Mod: Posted 25 June 2020 about Beta version — Big Sur was released on 12 November 2020

This post is now locked.

Illustrator wont let me save any files bc of BIG SUR UPDATE!!!!

I can do everything in the program but when i save it freezes. It worked fine before the update. I have tried several tutorials on why it wont save. Ive done that. I talked to support and they said they havent tested for this update yet so thats why it wont save. ANYONE HAVING THIS ISSUE TOO??

How can i get around this? Im not interested in reverting back to catalina. I dont even feel like doing all that right now.

When will it be ready for big sur anyone know?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When will it be ready for big sur anyone know?"

Not while Big Sur is in Beta, and probably not for a few months after the official release. Please post the bugs to Apple if you want to keep using the beta OS.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ooO i didnt realise its their issue! Thanks so much Jane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too.Everytime i want to save it my illustrator crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is about the Big Sur beta.

If you want help and you want your post to be noticed, then please create a new thread and tell us the details.

You could also contact Customer Care and have them log into your system to check things out.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is about saving files: Do you have a printer connected, set up as default printer and turned on?

If not, install a PDF printer.

It's generally a very bad idea to install beta software (let alone a beta operating system) on a production machine and expect it to run. But since the missing printer is a general issue, you could at least try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No printer. I dont know anything about beta software. My computer said updates avaialble and i clicked it since i never update! Now i know...this is really messing with my work for my client now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't know a lot about your system, you should get an expert to help you with the downgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I agree with the suggestion shared by Monika. MacOS Big Sur is an early beta. It is still in testing phase. I would suggest if you could  roll back to the MacOS Catalina and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same problem and have spent hours trying to find a workaround and finally got it to work!

Instead of just clicking Save, try Save As or Save a Copy and uncheck Create PDF Compatible File

It worked well for me, but let me know if this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving without PDF compatibility is usually a good idea if all of the below are true:

1. You don't need to use the Illustrstor file in another program (such as rasterizing or making a Smart Layer in Photoshopor placing in InDesign).
  2. You have a lot of raster data (either raster effects or placed images, whether linked or embedded).

Saving without PDF compatibility can dramatically reduce file size. I have seen files go from hundreds of megabytes to two or three megabytes. Smaller files load faster and, more importantly, save faster. If you find yourself waiting twenty seconds every time you press Command S you might be discouraged from doing incremental saves. This increases your chance of losing work if there's a crash or Illustrstor freezes or quits unexpectedly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me personally. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same!!! I added some images to my ai file and then when tried saving, Illustrator crashed. I have also made an interesting observation where I tried saving after adding only one image and it did save. Happening since I installed Big Sur today morning.. I have an assignment to submit!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try everything that has already been posted in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving without PDF compatibility worked. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines