• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Shift+Drag objects in Illustrator 2020 (24.2)

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated Illustrator a few hours ago and have noticed that when I try to click+shift and drag any object, it just...won't. The object highlights as usual when selected, but when I drag the object I get a quick view of the object dragging but it snaps back in place.  Im on a pretty powerful HP Z4 Workstation with up to date Windows 10 Pro. This was working fine earlier today, but I'm not having any luck in fixing this issue now.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We are able to reproduce this issue and it is currently under investigation. As a workaround you may try unchecking Transform Tools from Smart Guides preferences (CTRL/ CMD + K > Smart Guides > untick Transform Tools) and share your observations with us:

transform tools- smart guides Ai.png

I would also request that if you could upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40687171-dragging-objects-with-shift-key-hold-down-broken

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I tried to replicate this on my end but could not. It is working as expected. I'd request resetting the preferences once. Please follow the instructions below:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for following up! I have reset my preferences and unfortunately that did not solve the issue. I noticed that the issue happens when I try to make a copy of an object as well. I have a screen recording of what it does if that would help? I couldn't find a way to post it on here though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying that. You may upload the video file on Creative Cloud(or any other cloud service you prefer) and share the link with us. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm having the same problem, the shift function just won't work. Are there any other solutions I can try to make it work? It's really hard to work within the program when it's unfortunately not working. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same problems shift drahg / shift copy does not work , its a nightmare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it's a "Smart Guides" issue. If you have Smart Guides on, you have to keep your cursor perfectly aligned with where you origially grabbed the object while dragging and holding shift or it will snap back. Turning off Smart guides fixes the problem (though not if you need to use Smart Guides).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem on Mac running macOS 10.15.5

I am honestly so tired of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only seems to happen with activated Smart Guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it's a "Smart Guides" issue. I've noticed the same thing. If you have Smart Guides on, you have to keep your cursor perfectly aligned with where you origially grabbed the object while dragging and holding shift or it will snap back. Turning off Smart guides fixes the problem (though not if you need to use Smart Guides).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I believe you are correct. I turned them off and it resolved my issue, which really sucks! I've been using smart guides since..CS6 I think, and haven't had any issues until now. I layout pages for parts books and I find that smart guides help immensely. I hope Adobe gets around to fixing this asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you 100%. I've been using smart guides for years as well. Was really frustrating when my objects weren't moving when I was tring to move them! Fingers crossed they get a new update out soon because this isn't the only thing that was working fine and isn't with the latest update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't press the Shift key when moving the object. The smart guides will take care of the movement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not always. Need to use shift if you want to ensure it's staying vertically or horizontally aligned. Sometimes it tries to align with other objects. Shift-drag is the best way to keep that vertical or horizontal alignment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! Smart guides are very helpful, but they are in no way a replacement for holding shift and dragging. I need to have my objects and text dead-on horizontal or verticle with the neighboring objects. I guess CTRL-U is going to be second nature within a day! Please, Adobe, get a fix out soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Guides on or off, the Shift constrains fine for me (and with the Alt key creates a copy).

But I have MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same system for me.

Shift-dragging with Smart Guides on is working well for me at least for simple objects. I seem to remember it didn't always work as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton, which version of Illustrator do you have? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucky!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do see the same issue with Shift or Shift-Alt dragging objects when Smart Guides are turned on (latest version of Illustrator, Mac OS 10.14.6).

Just to confirm that there is obviously something wrong (whatever it may be).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. When I click on SHIFT+OPTION, I cannot do anything. This occurs when Smart Guides are turned on ONLY. But I need the Smart Guides on! I use this feature ALL THE TIME and hope to see a fix quickly! I am about to release a book about making pattern brushes in Illustrator and if this feature doesn't work, I will have to do a major rewrite!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a potential work around to this problem it to uncheck the "Transform Tools" option in the Smart Guides prefrences. Downside is you won't get Smart Guide information when you scale, rotate, and shear objects.
Edit > Preferences > Smart Guides > untick Transform Tools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines