• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Shift+Drag objects in Illustrator 2020 (24.2)

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated Illustrator a few hours ago and have noticed that when I try to click+shift and drag any object, it just...won't. The object highlights as usual when selected, but when I drag the object I get a quick view of the object dragging but it snaps back in place.  Im on a pretty powerful HP Z4 Workstation with up to date Windows 10 Pro. This was working fine earlier today, but I'm not having any luck in fixing this issue now.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We are able to reproduce this issue and it is currently under investigation. As a workaround you may try unchecking Transform Tools from Smart Guides preferences (CTRL/ CMD + K > Smart Guides > untick Transform Tools) and share your observations with us:

transform tools- smart guides Ai.png

I would also request that if you could upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40687171-dragging-objects-with-shift-key-hold-down-broken

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't take it, so I'm back to 24.1.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't blame you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue after update.

Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101)

Tried resetting all preferences and also clearing the illustrator support files from by home/library folder. No change.

Seems like a bug. Very irritating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens for me, too. It has been for at least the past year, but it seems MUCH worse with the new update. Good to know that disabling smart guides helps, but that's is ridiculous. We should be able to use them both at the same time. Come on, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We are able to reproduce this issue and it is currently under investigation. As a workaround you may try unchecking Transform Tools from Smart Guides preferences (CTRL/ CMD + K > Smart Guides > untick Transform Tools) and share your observations with us:

transform tools- smart guides Ai.png

I would also request that if you could upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40687171-dragging-objec...). This way you'll keep getting all the updates related to this issue.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me (as I've mentioned above) on Windows 10. But you do lose some functionality doing it that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely understand that. We are trying hard to fix this as soon as possible.  Please stay tuned for updates, and thanks in advance for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update, Srishti! Glad to hear this is being looked into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated illustrator to the latest software and when I was working on a project and wanted to duplicate the object and shift it to line up perfect to the side it wasn’t working. It lets me duplicate the object by using option just fine but once I hit shift and drag it doesn’t move the object at all. I have noticed that it will work when smart guides are turned off, but I never had to do that before. I always have my smart guides turned on beccause I'm very meticulous with my work. I tried restarting my computer and restarting the program, neither option worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving some object with Shift pressed and smart guides turned on has been an issue during the recent versions. I have experienced it quite a few times.

You don't need to press Shift when you use Smart guides, because that is exactly what smart guides is for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues. It worked fine until yesterday's update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to reproduce this issue and realized I have trained myself to option+drag and once the object starts to move I engage the shift key. I rarely, if ever use smart guides. I did try to reproduce the issue, but smart guides automatically keeps the object aligned  which makes the shift key less of an necessity  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be interesting why some participants in this thread claimed that the issue does not exist in their environment.

Just because the Smart Guides settings were "ideal" in that case? Or for some other reasons?

I'm not asking that in order to offend anyone. Just curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case Transform Tools was unchecked, probably a preference inherited from previous versions (I had it off at least since 2017).

Turning it on gives me the problem too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to v24.2, Shift-drag doesn't move the object, same for alt-shift-drag. The smart guides and their identifiers overlap each other. The previous version worked fine this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. My illustrator v24.2 has the same bug here. Shift-drag simply doesn't move the object and same for alt-shift-drag. Imac 2019, mac os catalina, plenty of ram...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue a few people have been having with the new update (24.2). It's a bug with the Smart Guides. Couple work arounds are to either turn off the Smart guides all together or to turn off  the Smart guide options "Transform Tools" (Edit > Preferences > Smart Guides > untick Transform Tools). Downside this this option is you won't get Smart Guide information when you scale, rotate, and shear objects, but you will still retain some Smart Guide features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all of the above. 

I've turned off Smart Guides.

"Transform Tools" was not checked to begin with.

I've quit & restarted AI many times.

10.14.6 mojave

I'm going to try to uninstall 25.2.3 and get 24.1.3.

I use AI about once a month, ID/PS daily. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update that takes away shortcuts I've been using for years. With the new update I can no longer "peel" a copy of an image using the alt+shift keyboard shortcut without turning off smart guides. Anyone know how to  resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using Shift in order to move the copy exactly?

Just don't press Shift, because that's what smart guides do.

It's been like this for a few versions already now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use shift to keep the copied object in-line with the source object. I've been doing this for over 14 years. It's one of the basic concepts of using the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does seem different between v23 and 24.2. v23 seems normal to me, 24 is finnicky and only copies if I keep my mouse exactly in line with the smart guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it has been finnicky for a few versions already.

@davidr6: Yes, of course it's a basic concept of using the software (I've been doing this for 30 years). But if you want smart guides on all the time anyway, then its concept (which has already been there when you started using the software) can replace the shift key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 23 seems finnicky when moving individual points constrained (which I've noticed for a while now), but not whole objects. 24 is objects too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is essentially the same problem everyone is having – it applies to both just moving an object and moving while copying an object. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines