• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Shift+Drag objects in Illustrator 2020 (24.2)

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated Illustrator a few hours ago and have noticed that when I try to click+shift and drag any object, it just...won't. The object highlights as usual when selected, but when I drag the object I get a quick view of the object dragging but it snaps back in place.  Im on a pretty powerful HP Z4 Workstation with up to date Windows 10 Pro. This was working fine earlier today, but I'm not having any luck in fixing this issue now.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We are able to reproduce this issue and it is currently under investigation. As a workaround you may try unchecking Transform Tools from Smart Guides preferences (CTRL/ CMD + K > Smart Guides > untick Transform Tools) and share your observations with us:

transform tools- smart guides Ai.png

I would also request that if you could upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40687171-dragging-objects-with-shift-key-hold-down-broken

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification, Ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any timeline as far as when this issue will be addressed? If I understand corectly, the last update did NOT fix this isue? Yes, I can use an older version of Illustrator, but I pay for CC to be able to use the most up-to-date version, and since the most up-to-date version is broken, I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth out of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, with how mismatched and inconsistent the Adobe apps are now,  I wouldn't hold your breath on a real fix being implemented any time soon, considering Adobe's track record. It's getting pretty ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, This workaround worked for me. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off Transform Tool in Smart Guide section has remmediated the situation for the moment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of that, thank you. I started this thread on the 16th of June, and we are now in August and have had an update since that didn't address the issue. I'd like to have a full working up-to-date version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon! I just received notification from the CC App that there was a new Illustrator update (24.2.3), and it seems to have fixed the issue! Yes, Transform Tools is on in my Preferences. Thank you, Adobe team!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! I didn't catch that in the release notes. Glad to hear it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still having this problem with Transform Tools selected in Smart Guides preferences in 25.4.1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines