Highlighted

Unable to Shift+Drag objects in Illustrator 2020 (24.2)

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated Illustrator a few hours ago and have noticed that when I try to click+shift and drag any object, it just...won't. The object highlights as usual when selected, but when I drag the object I get a quick view of the object dragging but it snaps back in place.  Im on a pretty powerful HP Z4 Workstation with up to date Windows 10 Pro. This was working fine earlier today, but I'm not having any luck in fixing this issue now.

{Renamed by MOD}

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We are able to reproduce this issue and it is currently under investigation. As a workaround you may try unchecking Transform Tools from Smart Guides preferences (CTRL/ CMD + K > Smart Guides > untick Transform Tools) and share your observations with us:

transform tools- smart guides Ai.png

I would also request that if you could upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40687171-dragging-objects-with-shift-key-hold-down-broken). This way you'll keep getting all the updates related to this issue.

Regards,

Srishti

Topics

Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unable to Shift+Drag objects in Illustrator 2020 (24.2)

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated Illustrator a few hours ago and have noticed that when I try to click+shift and drag any object, it just...won't. The object highlights as usual when selected, but when I drag the object I get a quick view of the object dragging but it snaps back in place.  Im on a pretty powerful HP Z4 Workstation with up to date Windows 10 Pro. This was working fine earlier today, but I'm not having any luck in fixing this issue now.

{Renamed by MOD}

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We are able to reproduce this issue and it is currently under investigation. As a workaround you may try unchecking Transform Tools from Smart Guides preferences (CTRL/ CMD + K > Smart Guides > untick Transform Tools) and share your observations with us:

transform tools- smart guides Ai.png

I would also request that if you could upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40687171-dragging-objects-with-shift-key-hold-down-broken). This way you'll keep getting all the updates related to this issue.

Regards,

Srishti

Topics

Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update that takes away shortcuts I've been using for years. With the new update I can no longer "peel" a copy of an image using the alt+shift keyboard shortcut without turning off smart guides. Anyone know how to  resolve this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using Shift in order to move the copy exactly?

Just don't press Shift, because that's what smart guides do.

It's been like this for a few versions already now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use shift to keep the copied object in-line with the source object. I've been doing this for over 14 years. It's one of the basic concepts of using the software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does seem different between v23 and 24.2. v23 seems normal to me, 24 is finnicky and only copies if I keep my mouse exactly in line with the smart guides.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it has been finnicky for a few versions already.

@davidr6: Yes, of course it's a basic concept of using the software (I've been doing this for 30 years). But if you want smart guides on all the time anyway, then its concept (which has already been there when you started using the software) can replace the shift key.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 23 seems finnicky when moving individual points constrained (which I've noticed for a while now), but not whole objects. 24 is objects too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is essentially the same problem everyone is having – it applies to both just moving an object and moving while copying an object. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I tried to replicate this on my end but could not. It is working as expected. I'd request resetting the preferences once. Please follow the instructions below:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for following up! I have reset my preferences and unfortunately that did not solve the issue. I noticed that the issue happens when I try to make a copy of an object as well. I have a screen recording of what it does if that would help? I couldn't find a way to post it on here though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying that. You may upload the video file on Creative Cloud(or any other cloud service you prefer) and share the link with us. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm having the same problem, the shift function just won't work. Are there any other solutions I can try to make it work? It's really hard to work within the program when it's unfortunately not working. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same problems shift drahg / shift copy does not work , its a nightmare

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it's a "Smart Guides" issue. If you have Smart Guides on, you have to keep your cursor perfectly aligned with where you origially grabbed the object while dragging and holding shift or it will snap back. Turning off Smart guides fixes the problem (though not if you need to use Smart Guides).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated illustrator to the latest software and when I was working on a project and wanted to duplicate the object and shift it to line up perfect to the side it wasn’t working. It lets me duplicate the object by using option just fine but once I hit shift and drag it doesn’t move the object at all. I have noticed that it will work when smart guides are turned off, but I never had to do that before. I always have my smart guides turned on beccause I'm very meticulous with my work. I tried restarting my computer and restarting the program, neither option worked. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving some object with Shift pressed and smart guides turned on has been an issue during the recent versions. I have experienced it quite a few times.

You don't need to press Shift when you use Smart guides, because that is exactly what smart guides is for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues. It worked fine until yesterday's update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to reproduce this issue and realized I have trained myself to option+drag and once the object starts to move I engage the shift key. I rarely, if ever use smart guides. I did try to reproduce the issue, but smart guides automatically keeps the object aligned  which makes the shift key less of an necessity  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem on Mac running macOS 10.15.5

I am honestly so tired of Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only seems to happen with activated Smart Guides

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it's a "Smart Guides" issue. I've noticed the same thing. If you have Smart Guides on, you have to keep your cursor perfectly aligned with where you origially grabbed the object while dragging and holding shift or it will snap back. Turning off Smart guides fixes the problem (though not if you need to use Smart Guides).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I believe you are correct. I turned them off and it resolved my issue, which really sucks! I've been using smart guides since..CS6 I think, and haven't had any issues until now. I layout pages for parts books and I find that smart guides help immensely. I hope Adobe gets around to fixing this asap!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you 100%. I've been using smart guides for years as well. Was really frustrating when my objects weren't moving when I was tring to move them! Fingers crossed they get a new update out soon because this isn't the only thing that was working fine and isn't with the latest update. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't press the Shift key when moving the object. The smart guides will take care of the movement.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not always. Need to use shift if you want to ensure it's staying vertically or horizontally aligned. Sometimes it tries to align with other objects. Shift-drag is the best way to keep that vertical or horizontal alignment. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! Smart guides are very helpful, but they are in no way a replacement for holding shift and dragging. I need to have my objects and text dead-on horizontal or verticle with the neighboring objects. I guess CTRL-U is going to be second nature within a day! Please, Adobe, get a fix out soon!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines