Highlighted

Uniting Vector Draw shapes in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

This is a drawing made in Vector Draw and sent to Illustrator. It is one piece of a much larger, layered drawing.

Because I am making complex images I would like to simply the paths and shapes without compromising details, so that my file doesn't get too large and unwieldy. (I have found that the Simplify tool changes the details too much).

In theory, I should be able to merge these shapes using the unite tool, however I end up with a distorted result. Here are the steps I've taken with screenshots. (The same result occurs using the Shape Building Tool.)

I'm not good with Illustrator, so any advice on how I can merge these shapes, is helpful 🙂 Thanks!

Image Sent from Vector DrawImage Sent from Vector Draw

Selected (to show shapes)Selected (to show shapes)Unite tool appliedUnite tool appliedNot United :-(Not United 😞

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Uniting Vector Draw shapes in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

This is a drawing made in Vector Draw and sent to Illustrator. It is one piece of a much larger, layered drawing.

Because I am making complex images I would like to simply the paths and shapes without compromising details, so that my file doesn't get too large and unwieldy. (I have found that the Simplify tool changes the details too much).

In theory, I should be able to merge these shapes using the unite tool, however I end up with a distorted result. Here are the steps I've taken with screenshots. (The same result occurs using the Shape Building Tool.)

I'm not good with Illustrator, so any advice on how I can merge these shapes, is helpful 🙂 Thanks!

Image Sent from Vector DrawImage Sent from Vector Draw

Selected (to show shapes)Selected (to show shapes)Unite tool appliedUnite tool appliedNot United :-(Not United 😞

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a copy of the AI version of the paths on something like dropbox or google drive so we can see directly what's going on?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Larry said, it would be helpful to see your file.

In the meantime, make sure that all shapes have a Fill color. Try Pathfinder > Unite with just 2 shapes at a time. If the shapes are grouped, you can either Object > Ungroup them or use the Group Selection tool to select individual parths within the group.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many anchor points are there? On all the paths?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines