• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unknown error issue

Enthusiast ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just managed to salvage two files that incurred the "an unknown error occured" message and control-alt-delete shutdown by saving the "recovered" versions as eps files. I placed those files in InDesign and they worked just fine.

When I tried to save the eps files back as illustrator, I got the "unkown error" message again. The plot thickens. The files were logo/sigs that had slight differences that I am preparing in a package design for a client. On the first file, I created two layers to modify the file. Saved it and got the error. Then reopened illustrator and saved the file as an eps file. Then to save rebuilding the modified layers in the second file, I copied them from the first file and pasted them into the second illustrator file, then attempted to save it and got the dreaded "unknown" error message again, all of which leads me to the observation that until I created the new layers, the files were saving OK and the new layers were the culprit.

Is it possible for individual layers to be corrupted and cause the whole file to "error out," and is there anything one can to avoid the "unknown error" issue, and is saving the recovered version as a EPS file the only solution?

Thanks to those who know more than me,

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Larry, thanks for your reply. The answer is no on locked and/or hidden layers. The file contains artwork and outlined type. I tried  to save one of the files again this morning as ai, and got the same results. At least it's consistent. Also glad that I remembered from a former enquiry the the answer was to save as a eps.

Thanks again,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any locked and/or hidden layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry, thanks for your reply. The answer is no on locked and/or hidden layers. The file contains artwork and outlined type. I tried  to save one of the files again this morning as ai, and got the same results. At least it's consistent. Also glad that I remembered from a former enquiry the the answer was to save as a eps.

Thanks again,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More on the dreaded "Unknown error" issue. I modified one the the eps files I saved then, just for grins, I saved it as a pdf and then successfully saved the file as an ai.

For what it's worth,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving as an EPS is not a solution.

Which version and system is it?

Exactly where do you save your files?

What's in the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Monica,

Thanks for your reply. The eps solution is the only one I have found that worked and save. The file is saved on a 10 tb work drive in my computer, separate from the C Drive. System is Windows 10 updated, Illy 2021 updated. 16 g Ram, Core i7 3.5.

The files contain multi-color artwork and outlined type.

Thanks,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines