Highlighted

Unwanted 13'' x 19'' print scaling

New Here ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just purchased an Epson WF-7220 printer for it's ability to handle 13''x19'' printing, and need the page dimensions to match those set on screen.

I'm using Illustrator 2020 on a Mac, and am finding that my large prints seem to have variable scaling applied to them at this size, which does *not* happen when printing US letter - the output is 97.2%-ish of what it should be (e.g. a rectangle that's 5.5mm wide is coming out at 5.3mm). Things I've tried/checked:

- Super B/A3 is selected

- All the scaling is off / 100%, both in Illustrator and the printer driver

- I've blown away Illustrator preferences

This feels like a bug, but I can't imagine I'd be the only one hitting this - so I'm assuming it's user error. What else can I try?

Thanks,

Neil

Topics

Bug, How to, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unwanted 13'' x 19'' print scaling

New Here ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just purchased an Epson WF-7220 printer for it's ability to handle 13''x19'' printing, and need the page dimensions to match those set on screen.

I'm using Illustrator 2020 on a Mac, and am finding that my large prints seem to have variable scaling applied to them at this size, which does *not* happen when printing US letter - the output is 97.2%-ish of what it should be (e.g. a rectangle that's 5.5mm wide is coming out at 5.3mm). Things I've tried/checked:

- Super B/A3 is selected

- All the scaling is off / 100%, both in Illustrator and the printer driver

- I've blown away Illustrator preferences

This feels like a bug, but I can't imagine I'd be the only one hitting this - so I'm assuming it's user error. What else can I try?

Thanks,

Neil

Topics

Bug, How to, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mentor ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Page tool?  View > Show Page > align using the Page tool.  On your file, set a holding line to your document using 0% Fill, 0% Stroke > Object > Lock Selection ( while the rectangle you set is selected ).  Save As.  Try printing the piece now.  Let us know if there is still a problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I don't have a 'Show Page' option, though.

I'm really curious - why would locking the selection work on an A3 document, when it's unnecessary at 8.5 x 11?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't have a 'Show Page' option"...

View > Show Page Tiling;

"why would locking the selection work"...

It gives the output device parameters, where if you had no bounding rectangle, the output device would use only your artwork for parameters.  I was just making a suggestion that may or may not be applicable for your circumstance.  A bounding rectangle works for any document size.  Especially when exporting or converting to PDF.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look for the Page tool under the Hand tool in your tool bar.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please describe what format exactly you are trying to print?

Also: do you print with printers marks?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I have Epson 13'' x 19'' paper, which I guess is listed as Super A3. I am *not* printing with marks.

Since the first post, I've tried:

- Printing the same document from Illustrator 2019 - same result

- Printing the same document from within Inkscape - works fine; no scaling is applied, and measurements match those expected

It seems to be an issue specific to Illustrator. It also happened with a previous (different) document, too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines