• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unwanted dashed line under object

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just learning. I bought a textbook and I'm working through the exercises.

I'm stuck on creating a small fold in an object. I need to make a triange, and position it underneath the object. This makes it look like it's got a fold. 

The triangle is created with the pen tool, no fill and black stroke. I expect it to disappear when I send it back (under the object). But it doesn't. It's still visible, but now it's a dashed line. Dashed line is not selected. It does go under the object, because I can't get hold of it or move it. 

I can't find anything online that will explain what's happening, or how to correct the issue. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Michele, it can be done without a blending mode when the layer has a stroke and the stroke is above the contents.

layer stroke.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please show us a screenshot?

The screenshot should include the layers panel and please click on the triangle next to the layer so the contents of the layer are visible as well.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a snalshot of what you are doing. (4th icon from the right) and a snapshot of expanded layers panerl. It is hard to decipher from nyour description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.jpgadobe help project.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. If you can see on the dress, the triangles that are dashed--they shouldn't be visible. I have sent them to the back, but I can still see them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the triangles separate objects? They are on the top layer right? Can you open that top layer and look for them? You just need to select them on the artboard and then check where they are in the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to unlock layer 1 to beable to select them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'm not getting notified if there is a reply, so I didn't see this until now. I didn't find the solution to the problem, but made up my own way of creating the same fold-like effect. But I still can't get rid of this dashed line! I'm not selecting it, but it keeps appearing. I'm now trying to get rid of my stroke in a square, but all I get is a dashed line. And when I want the dashed line, it doesn't work! I really don't like this programme. Way too complicated. Do I need to start over again so I can clear whatever unknown mistake I made, or will the programme remember it and keep this dashed line forever? Thanksadobe project rectangle.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

square and circle.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the above, I want to have the pink dots on top of the square without the dashed line. I don't know why you can see the dashed line through the pink dots, as they are on top. I don't know why I can't get rid of the dashed line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please select something  with the dashed line and show it in the layers panel and the Appearance panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the layer itself you have some sort of effect applied to it. Do you see how Layer 2 copy (and please start naming your layers, it is a good practice to get into) is filled in or shdowed. That means something is going on and is probably why this is going on. Please find the transparency panel, while that layer is selected and see what is going on. Post a screenshot of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe too that it is a layer attribute.

I believe it can be found in the Appearance panel and every stroke on that layer will be dashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ton Frederiks but there also must be a blend mode as you can see thru from the dots to the rectangle's dotted lines (I think they said the dots were on top).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michele, it can be done without a blending mode when the layer has a stroke and the stroke is above the contents.

layer stroke.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, thank you. I'll have a go at this today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To get rid of it, select the layer by cling the dot to yje right of its name and in the Appearance panel select Clear Appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines