Highlighted

Urgent Corrupted File: "The file '___' is in an unknown format and cannot be opened"

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm facing a very bad problem right now. 

I recently cleaned my Mac because I was running out of space on Photoshop and Illustrator and because of this they weren't working properly. I backed up all my files onto my hard drive, a orange LaCie, (or so I thought) and used CleanMyMac to make space. Only afterwards did I realize all my files on my hard drive had gotten corrupted (I don't know if this had to do with CleanMyMac) and since I erased all the original files I have no other backups of my work. I'm not normally someone who cleans their laptop for this exact reason, my lost work amounts to around five years because it's not just the .AI or .PSD but the .JPGS too. 

When I try to place a corrupt file into a new Illustrator file or a new Indesign File, it still doesn't work. When I tried placing it into the new Illustrator file the prompt, "The file '____' is in a format which cannot be placed." appeared and when placed in Indesign the prompt "Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation." appeared. 
If I try double clicking the file to open, it won't register.
If I drag to the program to open the prompt "File can't be found" appears. 

If I drag to desktop then drag to program open the prompt "The file '___' is in an unknown format and cannot be opened" appears. 

I don't know what to do, these files are very important to me, being that the files are from 5 years of work. Please any help would be great

Hi, best of luck with this! A few things come to mind. When the files were on your Mac, were they by chance in the Creative Cloud Files directory? If so, there may be some backup versions on the Adobe cloud.

Did your files have filename extensions? If not, it's possible they just lost their Mac creator and file type attributes, and adding a filename extension could bring them back.

If you look at the file sizes, do they seem about right? If the file sizes are very small or especially if zero bytes, the data is probably irretrievably gone.

If you haven't used your Mac much since cleaning files off of it, there's a reasonable chance a disc recovery service could restore deleted files that have not been overwritten with new data.

Since you're using a Mac, I highly recommend getting a dedicated backup drive and using Apple's Time Machine utility to make regular backups. It's very easy to use, and I've found it to be a lifesaver after ruining or deleting something I shouldn't have, or even restoring an entire external drive after a hardware failure.

Best of luck!

Topics

Bug, Draw and design, How to, Import and export, Performance, SDK, Sync and storage, Third party plugins, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Urgent Corrupted File: "The file '___' is in an unknown format and cannot be opened"

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm facing a very bad problem right now. 

I recently cleaned my Mac because I was running out of space on Photoshop and Illustrator and because of this they weren't working properly. I backed up all my files onto my hard drive, a orange LaCie, (or so I thought) and used CleanMyMac to make space. Only afterwards did I realize all my files on my hard drive had gotten corrupted (I don't know if this had to do with CleanMyMac) and since I erased all the original files I have no other backups of my work. I'm not normally someone who cleans their laptop for this exact reason, my lost work amounts to around five years because it's not just the .AI or .PSD but the .JPGS too. 

When I try to place a corrupt file into a new Illustrator file or a new Indesign File, it still doesn't work. When I tried placing it into the new Illustrator file the prompt, "The file '____' is in a format which cannot be placed." appeared and when placed in Indesign the prompt "Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation." appeared. 
If I try double clicking the file to open, it won't register.
If I drag to the program to open the prompt "File can't be found" appears. 

If I drag to desktop then drag to program open the prompt "The file '___' is in an unknown format and cannot be opened" appears. 

I don't know what to do, these files are very important to me, being that the files are from 5 years of work. Please any help would be great

Hi, best of luck with this! A few things come to mind. When the files were on your Mac, were they by chance in the Creative Cloud Files directory? If so, there may be some backup versions on the Adobe cloud.

Did your files have filename extensions? If not, it's possible they just lost their Mac creator and file type attributes, and adding a filename extension could bring them back.

If you look at the file sizes, do they seem about right? If the file sizes are very small or especially if zero bytes, the data is probably irretrievably gone.

If you haven't used your Mac much since cleaning files off of it, there's a reasonable chance a disc recovery service could restore deleted files that have not been overwritten with new data.

Since you're using a Mac, I highly recommend getting a dedicated backup drive and using Apple's Time Machine utility to make regular backups. It's very easy to use, and I've found it to be a lifesaver after ruining or deleting something I shouldn't have, or even restoring an entire external drive after a hardware failure.

Best of luck!

Topics

Bug, Draw and design, How to, Import and export, Performance, SDK, Sync and storage, Third party plugins, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best of luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines