• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

URGENT: Not enough RAM error coming up all of a sudden! (ai)

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I have the following (pics attached) error messages coming up for me in AI as I perform basic tasks which I have done pretty much daily for the last 5 years on this same iMac.  Even just moving a graphic across an artboard causes this all of a sudden.  I have tried to install previous versions of AI (25.0-25.2) and nothing has helped this.  My OS is catalina v10.15.17.

I tried resetting preferences like I saw in other old threads but that did nothing.

Thank you for any help in fixing this issue ASAP!  

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 2.03.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-24 at 2.03.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-24 at 2.03.53 PM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find an answer? I suddenly have the same problem -- working fine, then all of a sudden I'm getting the same message (not enough RAM, but I'm using less than 20% of it when I get the message). If I find a solution, I'll come back here and post it. 

I have some large files that, when opened, won't render the entire image image. On a smaller file I couldn't modify a shape with inner glow applied until I turned inner glow off (never had that probelm before). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I have no answer for version 25, I installed Illustrator 24.3 and can now work on the two files that were unusable yesterday.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)

32 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update 3/24/2021:

I updated this on another of my posts, but thought I would repeat it here just is case someone came accross this problem on this post.

I returned to Illustrator 25.2.1 because it claimed to have fixed many reported bugs, but the RAM problem was still triggered. After looking at my preferences I unchecked the GPU Performance checkbox under Illustrator > Preferences > Performance (on Mac, even thought it stated "Compatible GPU available") and the problem went away. It now displays complex art in full, and I don't get out of RAM messages.

I still have Illsutrator 2020 installed and it is working fine with GPU Performance checked, so something went wrong between the older and newer version – my Mac is late 2013 so its age may have something to do with the problem as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines