• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Area Type Tool successfully when font size is small compared to grid size

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make a calendar.  I'm using an object (split into grid) for the "background", to be able to control fill/stroke.  I'm using the Area Type Tool (also split into grid) on top of that for filling in the dates/text.  This worked brilliantly for my yearly view where the date is centered in the grid box and is nearly as large as the square it occupies.  However, on my monthly view, where I want a much smaller number in the upper left corner of the calendar square, I encounter a situation where when I hit "enter", the cursor moves BELOW the number within the same cell (instead of to the next cell).   In fact, when I hit "enter" a second time, the cursor moves down again.  So it looks like it wants to have three lines of text within that cell when using that font size.  The only workaround I have found at this time it to enter my number, then just hit "enter" "enter" to end up in the next cell.  Is there a better way to achieve the same result without having to have 30+ separate text boxes, one for each date?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Increase the leading until it matches the cell height.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be useful here to be able to see what you've created so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the first view below, you can see that the number takes up most of the space in its cell.  When I hit "enter", the cursor moves right to the next cell.

The second view below shows what happens when I decrease the font size since I want the number to be smaller and in the upper left corner.  There appears to be three "lines" of text within the cell.  When I hit "enter" after the number one, the cursor moves DOWN within the same cell.

The third view is how I have worked around it for now.  Although it appears that there is one number in each cell, there is actually one number and two carriage returns (to take up the space of the other two "lines" in the cell).

Is there a way to have ONE character per cell when the font is much smaller than the cell it's in, rather than me having to hit enter multiple times to move into the next cell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Increase the leading until it matches the cell height.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thank you!  How/where do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would make it a character style to make editing easier (so you can edit the text style without selecting everything), but otherwise you'd find it in the Character panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will have to Google on the character style bit, but was able to set the leading as you suggested and was successful!  Thank you SO much, really appreciate the quick answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/character-paragraph-styles.html

Define paragraph and character styles any time you're setting lots of text to make updates and changes much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines