• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Find option in created PDF file from illustrator file.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I typed some Arabic text in an Illustrator file, made PDf from it and dopened it, but Find option (Ctrl+F) could not search the words in the file.

How can I Save As PDF so that I can find words in it?

Thank you very much

Mohsen

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PDF viewer are you using to open the pdf? If you're using Acrobat can you select the text with your cursor? If not then it would appear that your pdf was exported as a flattened image and would therefore not be searchable. Do you have the Arabic fonts loaded and is your computer and Illustrator set for the Arabic language? Are you making sure that if you do have the font loaded that is embedded when you make the pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill

Thank you for your kindly answer.

I changed the font and now find option in PDF file works. My first font was Adobe Arabic (which was not searchable0 and the changed font is a local font (which is searchable now).

What is the problem? I need to use Adobe Arabic font for my project. How do I must do?

Meanwhile Select Tool is doable in both.

Thank you again.

Mohsen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the font that you substituted an Arabic one as well? Is your version of Creative Cloud installed as the Arabic version? To check open the Creative Cloud desktop app and look at the apps section of the desktop app preferences. This may be a factor as to why the initial font is not searchable.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.29.35 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill

The Creative Cloud is damaged and I am trying to fix it up. Is there another way to do what you ask? I remember while I installed the Illustrator, I selected Arabic. 

What is your idea about the problem?

Thankx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like it is an issue with the font. Is this font searchable in the native InDesign file? If not then it may be a licensing issue of some kind with the font. If all other arabic fonts are working correctly for you then it definately would be that specific font that is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Desr Bill

Absolutely yes. It works in Illustrator and I search it in Illustrator a lot of times, but is not searchable when becomes PDF.

If I did not this font, I could change it with acsearchable font.

Do you have any suggestion to help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If what you're doing is working with all other fonts then it would seem to me a problem with outputting this font (which is what you're essentially doing when saving the file as a pdf—since double-clicking on the seved file will usually open in whatever pdf viewer you're using). This sounds to me like a licensing issue. If possible, find out where the font came from and explore what rights your licensing agreement allows. Also see if there is another version of the same font available and test that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill

As the name of the font (Adobe Arabic) says, it is one of the defaulf Illustrator fonts.

Do you think is it good I send an email to adobe.com and ask them to survey  the problem?

Do you know where can I better make communication with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohsen, since Adobe Arabic is faulty, you need to obtain proper Arabic font from the TypeKit fonts website or other vendors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill.

Adobe Arabic is a default Arabic font for the Middle Eastern version of Adobe CC. So this font is installed on Mac/Windows operating systems during the installation phase of the Adobe CC application.

I just tested on my Mac and I can confirm that the "Adobe Arabic" font displays the typed text properly in a PDF, but when I search in Acrobat Pro/Adobe Reader for an existing word, Acrobat fails to find it.

Choosing another Arabic font works well.

Here is a PDF font window

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 2.23.21 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zaid,

I think what you've said backs up the idea that the issue is with the font. Since, as you've said, this is a default font it would seem that licensing may not be the issue with it as I suggested in an earlier post. I have heard about fonts that have custom coding that makes them incompatible with established codings such as ASCII or UTF-8/Unicode. That could certainly play a part in MohenSEAS' problem. I also notice from your screen shot that this font is a Postscript Type 1 font. This type of font has for the most part been superceded in use and popularity by Open Type fonts. If an Open Type version of this Arabic font exists then I would strongly suggest trying that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what's the funny thing, this Adobe Arabic font was introduced back in 2013 when Adobe released Creative Cloud for the first time, and by now, this font as I mentioned earlier will be the first font you will see and use in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign because it is preselected, so it is like Adobe is pushing users to use it.

And although I agree with you that PostScript fonts are something from the past and we have to stick to OpenType fonts and this is exactly what I preach too, yet this font appears to be an OpenType in all Adobe applications see below screenshot from InDesign…

AdobeArabic_ID.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must add that Adobe Arabic behaves well in all Adobe applications except in Acrobat, so just like Mohsen mentioned, the "Find" option work well other than in Acrobat. Lately, we found that if you use Adobe Arabic font to fill up an interactive form in Acrobat Pro/Reader, the text will show fine on screen, however, when printing the filled up form, all the character in any filled up fields will be overlapping each other, hence cannot read what's typed in the fields!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zaid

Would you tell me the names of some formal arabic fonts e.g.Adobe Arabic? 

I am not familiar with Arabic fonts and need a Formal one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends on the project, we choose a suitable font that matches the personality of the publication.

I use mostly "GE Alma" which was made by my colleagues at GraphEast.

Did you search TypeKit fonts? I just checked it, there is "Nassim" and "Bressay" I encourage you to use any of these as they're available for free to the Adobe CC subscribers like us.

You may search the foundries of Linotype, or Grapheast if you want to buy an Arabic font. For jobs where you need to have Arabic and English on the same page, you can check Tanseek Font for instance since these were designed to match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zaid,

What I find very interesting here is that the screen shot you showed from Acrobat clearly lists the Arabic font as Postscript Type 1 as well as showing the Postscript Type 1 icon for the fonts. Yet the screenshot you show from InDesign shows the font as Open Type. You've said that this font is the default font for several applications but it appears that the version used as a default in Acrobat is the Postscript Type 1 version. This does not surprise me since Acrobat is as close to a separate program from the rest of the Creative Cloud as is possible. When updates to Creative Cloud come out it does not usually include Acrobat as part of the overall update. So assuming that this Postscript Type 1 version is the default for Acrobat then it sounds like it is superceding the version coming in from InDesign and creating a conflict which may be responsible for the font not fully functioning (that is, unsearchable). A way to see if this is the case and a possible way to fix the original problem might be to change Acrobats default font to the Open Type version. This can be done through the Content Editing section of Acrobat's preferences using the two Font Options pull-down menus to change the default font to the Open Type version. Do this with the program active but no pdf open and then close the program after making the change. When you relaunch Acrobat this change should become the default.  

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 2.57.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the default fonts in Acrobat doesn't change the fact that opening a PDF with Adobe Arabic font coming from Illustrator will still be unsearchable.

I went ahead and changed the default font of both Acrobat menus to Arial since Arial font has Arabic, as well as Latin characters, I opened a PDF and converted it to a form using the "Prepare Form" option in Acrobat, started typing and surprisingly it picked Adobe Arabic even after changing the default font menus and restarting Acrobat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that changing the default font in Acrobat would change the default type for editable forms since that is determined in the Text Field Properties dialog Apperance section that appears when you double-click on a form when the Prepare Form option is activated. I believe the default font options that I showed in my previous post would apply to text added using the Edit PDF option. What you did not mention is whether when you changed the default in your Acrobat to Arial did you try searching text in a pdf that you made from InDesign using InDesign's (Open Type) version of the Arabic font in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Bill Silbert 

This topic made me interested to revisit few areas in Acrobat which is known to have weakness or lack of Arabic support. I can say that none of the suggestions made a difference unfortunately, I'm afraid that I have to blame Acrobat for its lack of Arabic support in some areas in it for this Adobe Arabic font behavior, not the font itself.

See, Adobe Arabic font acts as any other Arabic font in other Adobe applications, the text is searchable and editable, while we can't do any of this in Acrobat.

I will end my contribution to this post by advising Mohsen to simply use another Arabic font in the original layout application then test it in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines